Based in Southern California with locations in Malibu, Calabasas and Camarillo; HRL has been on the leading edge of technology, conducting pioneering research and advancing the state of the art.
For more than 70 years, HRL has been on the leading edge of technology, conducting pioneering research and advancing the state of the art. We are looking for a generalist software engineer to help us develop the future of quantum information technologies. Scientists and engineers at HRL use our quantum software development kit everyday to better operate, understand, and advance our devices. As a software engineer, you will be primarily responsible for building tools for the storage, retrieval, and visualization of scientific data.
We are hiring at all levels of experience for this position. See the accompanying "Senior Full Stack Engineer" role for applicants with longer industry tenure.
- Build various tools used by scientists, engineers, and fellow developers to increase their productivity.
- Build dashboards for monitoring status and health of complex experimental physics systems.
- Build apps for displaying rich visualizations of scientific data.
- Develop and extend databases to support new and existing data elements.
- Develop maintainable and repeatable deployment strategies for web apps.
- Experience may be professional or hobbyist. Must be able to write in one of the languages relatively confidently, and must have some familiarity with the other.
- Ability to write clean, organized code with accompanying unit tests.
- Good skills in writing short-form documentation (as docstrings and/or comments), and long-form documentation (as Markdown and/or Word documents).
- Solid grasp of core computer science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and computer architecture.
- Basic working knowledge of statistics and data science.
- U.S. citizenship; active security clearance or ability to obtain one.
What Might Set You Apart:
A solid portfolio project that demonstrates your ability to write original code.
Demonstrated experience in SQL schema design, SQL query writing, front-end design and implementation, or data visualization.
Understanding of collegiate-level mathematics, physics, and/or computer science.
An understanding of how your programming language implementation (e.g., cpython) works.
Ability to write in several programming languages of different paradigms (e.g., functional, OO, logic, concurrent, etc.).
HRL has a culture of teaching and learning, and promotes your career development through various training and development opportunities.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a "U.S. Person" as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. "U.S. Person" includes U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
HRL offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package. Our Regular/Full Time benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K match, gym facilities, PTO, growth potential, and an exciting and challenging work environment.
HRL Laboratories is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, training or promoting, on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, age, U.S. military or protected veteran status, union membership, or political affiliation. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.