Your team responsibilities
MSCI has an opening for a Software Engineering role working on systems which are amongst the most mission critical of MSCI. They require a strong technology expertise and a strong sense of enterprise system design, state of the art scalability, reliability, and innovation in emerging cloud technologies and data science.
In this role, you will make decisions pertaining to technology, architecture, and infrastructure in a consistent firm-wide framework to support the growth of our company. You will establish close cross-functional partnerships with the MSCI global leaders, including but not limited to our product, research, operational and engineering organizations. Your understanding of what we do beyond the technical aspects, through the lens of our operations, research, program and product management organizations, will enable you to succeed and add significant value in this role.
As a global financial powerhouse, MSCI is constantly reinventing itself by applying technology innovations to projects designed to benefit the world’s financial markets. We are strongly execution driven, with the objective of expanding from being the world leader of international equity indexes, to becoming the standard in providing the tools to measure risk and return. In the hands of our clients, MSCI’s technology enables the creation of better portfolios within ever shorter time to market, ultimately leading to better investment decisions and changing the investment landscape.
What we will offer you:
- At MSCI, we provide competitive benefits programs in every region in which we do business. While our benefits plans vary in availability in our different locations, we offer a broad range of benefits that are part of the value you receive as a MSCI employee. Wherever you are with us, you will find benefits that can help ensure your health and well-being and contribute to your financial security.
- A hybrid work environment, for the vast majority of employees, offering a more progressive way of working to give you the flexibility, accountability, and responsibility to empower you to perform at your very best. At the center of this way of working is a culture which is built on a strong foundation of trust. We trust our people and they trust our organization’s leaders to support them.
- An inclusive and performance driven culture where you are empowered to maximize your potential in an environment where all individuals are respected and encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work
- A purposeful approach to Wellbeing to provide you with all the resources you need to be your best at work and in your personal life. Our Here For You Employee Assistance Program provides confidential emotional support with local experts, financial and legal advice in a wide range of issues as well as access to online information, resources and tools. All the services are available for our employees free of charge.
Your key responsibilities
- Providing overall strategy and technology direction for the development of applications supporting the firm’s solutions
- Strategic planning for all product development efforts to include the subsequent testing, release and production environment needs
- Collaborating with IT Infrastructure to implement/adapt the overall architecture of our products and support infrastructure in conjunction with software development managers, and product management teams
- Supporting and aligning the development of the product roadmaps within a portfolio of multiple products
- Leading and enhancing our agile methodology for the design, development, test and release of our products and features while coordinating with internal development groups worldwide.
- Staying abreast of new technologies and challenged to deliver software-as-a-service solutions with a solid expertise in current technologies, platforms, and standards.
- Participating in the strategic business and product planning process
- Being actively engaged in setting technology standards that impact the company and its offerings
- Being an active spokesperson and evangelist both internally and externally by communicating and promoting the company’s technology vision and solutions
- Ensuring the knowledge sharing of engineering best practices across departments; and developing and monitoring technical standards to ensure adherence to them.
- Hiring and retaining top technology talent able to understand business requirements and turn them into software solutions.
- Developing loyalty and commitment among colleagues by articulating an appealing vision for the future, communicating high expectations, developing and mentoring direct reports and setting an example in one’s own behavior.
Your skills and experience that will help you excel
- Prior Software Engineering roles in product or application development and engineering for high growth companies
- Experience with Java and the most usual programming languages such as C#, Python.
- Developer of distributed systems, with an expertise in mechanisms for enabling low-latency communication amongst nodes in a processing grid
- Knowledge of current paradigms and technologies for queuing, messaging, and remote procedure calling, and comparative advantages/disadvantages of each, is a must
- Ability to dive into details, hands on technologist with strong core computer science fundamentals.
- Experience / interest in performance, scale, on-premises and cloud
- Strong preference for financial services experience
- Excellent communication skills, strong team player, and the ability to work cross functionally
- Experience in a modern iterative software development methodology
- Experience with globally distributed teams and business partners
- Experience in building and maintaining applications that are mission critical for customers
- M.S. in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related engineering field
How we’ll support you
- Coaching, support and encouragement from experts in your team
- Access to a wide range of learning opportunities to support your growth and development
- Customizable learning journeys to help you navigate your professional development
- Transparent performance-based compensation schemes
- Employee Resource Groups: MSCI Pride & Allies, MSCI Black Leadership Network, MSCI Women’s Leadership Forum, MSCI Women in Tech, MSCI Asian Support Network, MSCI All Abilities, Hola! MSCI and MSCI Climate Action Network.
Salary Range: $146,000 – $190,000 /year plus eligible for annual bonus
About MSCI and our teams
MSCI is a leading provider of critical decision support tools and services for the global investment community. With over 50 years of expertise in research, data and technology, we power better investment decisions by enabling clients to understand and analyze key drivers of risk and return and confidently build more effective portfolios. We create industry-leading research-enhanced solutions that clients use to gain insight into and improve transparency across the investment process.
Our values define the working environment we strive to create. We are inclusive, we champion bold ideas, we always pursue excellence, and always act with integrity. Personal accountability and responsibility are key to success, and we always work as a team to remain client centric.
At MSCI diversity is at our core and inclusion defines our culture. Our people are empowered to maximize their potential in an environment where all individuals are respected and encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work. We work, learn and grow together and we are committed to hiring and promoting qualified women, ethnic minorities and members of the LGBT+ community candidates, who have historically been underrepresented in financial services.
To learn more about life at MSCI please visit https://careers.msci.com or follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Glassdoor.
To all recruitment agencies: MSCI does not accept unsolicited CVs/Resumes. Please do not forward CVs/Resumes to any MSCI employee, location or website. MSCI is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs/Resumes.
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.