The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
For the company's first 5 years, our subscriber growth engine has been powered by a small but effective growth team. Our business has now grown to the point where we've expanded our Growth team into 2 distinct teams (Acquisition, and Retention).
Our Acquisition team is focused on growing our subscriber base and revenue through rapid experimentation - both key metrics that power our subscription business. The team is responsible for a significant part of the product including subscription growth funnels, pricing, payments, and referrals.
Our Retention team also works on core subscription business metrics: reducing churn and retaining subscribers over time. This team will drive longer-term strategic changes to the core subscription provisioning infrastructure to set us up for the next phase of growth including payments infrastructure, winbacks, cancellation, and other touchpoints further along the lifecycle of users and subscribers.
As a full-stack engineer, you'll get to work on every part of the stack: web, backend, API, database, analytics.
- Work with Design and Product teams to build a web UI that is beautiful, performant, and well-engineered.
- Architect and build the backend/api layer to optimize for performance, growth, scalability, ease of future development, and code quality.
- Write unit and functional tests to ensure maximum code and app quality.
- Investigate, debug, and fix user-reported production issues.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other team members.
- Work with the team to influence technology direction.
- Ideate and suggest product improvements and features through a symbiotic relationship with Product team.
- Work within a highly cross-functional team, iterating on process and making your own suggestions for improvements.
- 2+ years experience as a full-stack software engineer.
- Bachelor's degree in CS or relevant discipline.
- We have 2 primary tech stacks, one in React (Next.js) with an Apollo/GraphQL API layer, and one in PHP (Wordpress) with a REST API layer. MySQL database, ElasticSearch, and DynamoDB on the backend. All hosted on AWS. Prior experience with any of the above is desired, but not required.
- Passion for sports is a bonus, but passion for experimentation and data-driven decision making is a must.
- The current team is largely based in San Francisco, CA, but this role can be based in a 100% remote capacity within the United States or Canada.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.