At eBay, we're more than a global ecommerce leader — we’re changing the way the world shops and sells. Our platform empowers millions of buyers and sellers in more than 190 markets around the world. We’re committed to pushing boundaries and leaving our mark as we reinvent the future of ecommerce for enthusiasts.
Our customers are our compass, authenticity thrives, bold ideas are welcome, and everyone can bring their unique selves to work — every day. We're in this together, sustaining the future of our customers, our company, and our planet.
Join a team of passionate thinkers, innovators, and dreamers — and help us connect people and build communities to create economic opportunity for all.
Location: 240 Richmond Street West, Toronto, ON M5V 1V6, Canada
Wage range - Base Salary: $160,000 CAD+ Signing Bonus of $40,000 CAD + $16,000 CAD target bonus
Benefits: Standard company employment benefits including extended medical, dental, vision care, disability, life insurance
All applications must be made via the following link on our careers page to be considered: https://ebay.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/apply/job/Toronto/MTS-1--Software-Engineer_R0059347
We are the Product, Item and Transactions Experience Team in eBay’s buyer org. The team owns the Item details pages, Product pages, Transaction flows - such as Auctions, Best offers flows, SEO optimized landing experiences, and all their services. In other words, this team is responsible for the core systems and applications of eBay.
We drive billions of dollars in revenue via 100’s of millions of page views delivered daily across the globe, across all devices & browsers. Performance, Accuracy, real time systems (e.g., winning bid), Scalability and availability are paramount. Team and experience has great financial impact and customer impact and role is highly visible in the organization. In addition, being the core eBay experience, it has to delight the diverse customer base across the world. We are a data driven agile team.
Developers have liberty to come up with new feature ideas and work closely with product managers & user experience designers to make an impact on millions of users in the eBay community. We ship often, get immediate user feedback and use experimentation to make decisions. Developers have end-to-end product ownership from design to implementation. Come, join us, and invent the next generation of eCommerce.
We are looking for an experienced staff level backend Engineer to work in the product development team, who is responsible for handling Buyer experience in eBay marketplace. As a self-motivated and enthusiastic member of our team, you will work with extremely hardworking peers in a fun environment. You will work in an agile environment with a focus on problem solving and engineering perfection. The language of work is English.
- As a self-motivated and enthusiastic member of our team, you will collaborate with extremely smart and proficient peers leading and designing solutions using your strong background in distributed systems, and large-scale database systems.
- You will work in an agile environment with a focus on problem solving and engineering perfection. As a technical lead you are expected to assess business problems, design optimal solutions and drive implementation to meet the business expectations.
- You will collaborate closely with peers, Architects, Product Managers, Business Analysts, Quality Engineers, and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet functional and non-functional standards and expectations.
- As a lead engineer, you will guide junior and senior engineers in your team and also across domain teams in building scalable, high speed, distributed applications and advocate for meeting the design and quality standards.
- You will contribute to the development, testing, release, triage, bug fix, documentation, and rest of the cycles in product development and maintenance.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science plus 8+ years of experience or MS in Computer Science plus 6+ years of hands-on experience in building large-scale distributed systems.
- Define, design, and implement complex, multi-tier distributed software systems scaling beyond 1B requests/day and focused on improving buyer experience at eBay.
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals, data structures and algorithms.
- Extensive hands-on experience and expertise in object-oriented design methodology and application development using Java/J2EE, Design Patterns, Spring and Spring Boot frameworks, Web services, Micro services, Dockers, Spring Cloud, Elasticsearch, and Caching mechanisms.
- Familiarity with Event driven architectures and Distributed processing technologies.
- · Good understanding of using various database systems (NoSQL and relational) at scale, like Oracle, Mongo, MySQL etc.
- Drive architecture discussions, produce well-documented design docs, and participate in design and code reviews.
- Ensure code quality and maintainability by evolving architecture and tech stack, refactoring, standards and improving build and test systems.
- Estimate engineering effort, plan execution cycles, and rollout system changes.
- Familiarity with CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins, Maven.
- Familiarity with Github, Junit, Jira.
- Need 3+ years of experience in partnering effectively and influence peers, juniors and seniors.
- Share engineering support, release, and on-call responsibilities for an always-on 24x7 site.
Base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including location, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a target bonus and restricted stock units (as applicable) in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as PTO and parental leave). Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
If hired, employees will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
eBay is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you have a need that requires accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com.
We will make every effort to respond to your request for accommodation as soon as possible. View our accessibility statement to learn more about eBay's commitment to ensuring digital accessibility for people with disabilities.
Jobs posted with location as "Remote - United States (Excludes: HI, NM)" excludes residents of Hawaii and New Mexico.