Facet’s backend services power our users’ essential creative processes. Facet relies on these services at almost every stage of the editing workflow: converting and serving user images, efficiently rendering batches of high-res images for export, performing ML-based image analysis and synthesis, and providing seamless collaboration and commenting on shared documents.
You would be responsible for extending these services to serve new product requirements, and ensuring that they remain fast and stable in the face of growing user demand. The quality of Facet’s user experience depends critically on the availability and responsiveness of our backend, so you will need to consider how design and implementation affect the entire product experience. It’s also the case that creative work can translate into “creative” API usage patterns, so graceful degradation in unexpected edge cases is important too.
This role represents an unusual opportunity to use your skill at optimization and scaling to bring more creativity, expression, and beauty into the world - we hope we’ll be hearing from you.
- Professional experience building and maintaining complex backends with queues and multiple services.
- Demonstrated ability to propose effective solutions, implement them quickly, and iterate on them in response to feedback.
- Aptitude for clearly communicating difficult technical concepts.
- Empathy for the designers, artists, and the visual creative workers who will be using our product.
- Scale Facet's backend architecture to meet both user demand and new product requirements.
- Be ruthless about latency and performance; Facet is integral to our users’ professional work.
- Roll out new internal tooling to improve internal stakeholder and developer experience.
- Use tools including Typescript, Node, Express, Postgres, GraphQL, and Terraform to build fast, scalable APIs and processing pipelines.
Added plus: personal or professional exposure to photography, video creators, production or post-production including VFX and editing.
- Competitive salary and equity.
- Paid parental leave for primary or secondary caregivers.
- Three weeks paid vacation.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance and OneMedical membership.
- Build your own work environment: customize your laptop and desk setup with any peripheral or accessory you'd like.
- Order any work-related books on the company's Amazon account.
- Flexible working hours: we have daily team stand-ups, but we understand if you work better when you're not tethered to your desk.
- Relocation assistance.
- Yearly stipend for learning and development.
- Commuter benefits including a monthly ride-sharing stipend.