About the team
To address the unique needs of our customers, we’re building a Custom Engineering team! They work with existing and potential customers to build and expand custom features to the Nylas Cloud APIs, which allow our customers and developers to make effortless use of email, calendar, and contact data. We want to create tools and features that make it easier for developers to use our platform in building their applications and increase our product offerings into new territory. Our work will make a significant impact on cutting down onboarding time, adding new functionality to the product roadmap, driving up product adoption statistics, building a paywall for contractual commitments, and productizing customer-specific feature sets.
About the role
As a Software Engineer, you'll help us scale and build new products on top of our APIs. Right now, our open-source Python sync engine regularly archives terabytes of data across a massive SQL cluster, and our Flask APIs handle tens of millions of requests a day. We aim to scale that several times over in the next year. In this role, you will report to the Sr. Director of Custom Engineering.
Our engineers end-to-end own and ship new features, like offering Contact sync, while providing mentorship through pairing. They shard our webhook systems, then re-architect in SQS as we scale. They solve tricky customer issues, debug slow MySQL queries, and sometimes get into the depths of MIME and other email protocols. On the side, they improve our internal developer experience, most recently with MyPy, and open-source our custom-built tools. They talk at conferences, write blog posts, and make strong showings at local events.
You should have a growth mindset, enough engineering experience to architect complex systems, a track record of managing your own projects, and a strong sense of practical shippability over-engineering purity. You should also tend toward humbleness in your abilities and have an innate desire to pass the knowledge onto others.
- Fast, iterative feature prototyping
- Developing on a Python application codebase written in Flask
- Working collaboratively with a team of developers, designers, and product owners to develop and evolve features
- Writing automated tests to ensure the reliability of our features
- Designing and influencing the design of systems that leverage distributed computing and storage
- Working with cloud-based deployments and application environments
- Intellectually curious, passionate, and inventive
- 2-3 years of feature development in Python (nice to have experience in Ruby, Node.js, Go, Java, and/or PHP)
- Competency in at least one Python application framework (like Flask or Django)
- Experience with modern database and storage (MySQL, NoSQL)
- Experience creating and developing on RESTful APIs
- Experience iterating with git / modern version control
- Experience working at a startup or a fast-paced environment
- Someone who wants to be a strong individual contributor and lead large scale technical projects
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
- Healthcare: 90% premium coverage for medical, dental and vision for you and your family
- One Medical onsite and tele-health membership for you and dependents
- Additional: Health and DC FSA, Life insurance, with options for STD, LTD
- Retirement Plan: match up to 1% of annual salary for 401k or RRSP contributions
- Education Stipend: $1k annual education & development benefit
- Perk card: $150 per month towards health, wellness, and other perks via Assembly
- Cell Phone: $50 per month stipend towards cell phone reimbursement
- Fully Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
- Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states/provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state/province where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.