Social Media Specialist
We’re looking for a Social Media Specialist to join Thrillist to manage day-to-day social media posting and strategy for the Audience Development team. This role is primarily responsible for developing and executing content and distribution strategies that extend the reach and amplification of stories via social media, partnerships, and other distribution channels.
Along with a passion for storytelling and attention to detail, the candidate must have in-depth social media experience, strong writing skills, an eye for powerful visuals, and understand how data can inform sponsored editorial and social strategy.
WHO WE ARE
Thrillist celebrates life at the intersection of culture and experience, inspiring people to pursue spontaneity through food, drink, and travel.
Thrillist is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Take a hands-on role in overseeing social media programming: including leading strategy, managing day-to-day posting, community management, editing, and optimization of content on multiple social platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Google Stories, Twitter, and more
- Source user-generated content that mobilizes our community and can be shared on Thrillist’s distribution platforms
- Strategize creative and find effective ways to insert Thrillist’s content and voice into online conversations
- Work cross-functionally with the editorial, video, and creative team to roll out tentpole, initiatives, or features across distribution platforms
- Establish the ideal mix of native vs. curated vs. site-driving content for each distribution platform
- Build creative assets and create copy for various social platforms when necessary
- Engage the community by creating interactive post ideas and responding to comments and messages on social media including but not limited to Instagram, Twitter, etc
- Report on content performance, and present social insights to the Audience Development and stakeholders
- Stay up to date with the latest social media best practices and emerging platforms to keep Thrillist ahead of the curve
WHO YOU ARE
Here are the specifics of who we are looking for:
- 2 years of social media experience in agency, audience development, or digital/editorial publishing
- Familiarity with social publishing and listening tools like Later, Parsely, Sprout, Google Analytics, and/or CrowdTangle
- Good understanding of social media analytics and experience optimizing content
- Strong editorial judgment
- Experience using photo editing and design tools like Photoshop or Canva is a plus
- A collaborative and positive team player with an enthusiastic work ethic
- Excellent communication skills and ability to pitch creative ideas
- Exceptional organizational skills, focus, and attention to detail
- Nimble and keenness to adapt to a changing media landscape
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (email@example.com).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.