Senior Tax Manager
The Honest CompanyPlaya Vista, CA18 days ago
The Senior Tax Manager will be responsible for leading and developing the internal tax function and the tax strategies that support the business. This position will be a hands-on manager, understanding the financial details and translating them into operational and strategic opportunities. The role will manage the efficient use of external resources to help execute the responsibilities and strategies. This role will deliver high quality tax reporting as well as optimize the company's tax profile and liquidity. This position will ensure compliance with tax laws in the various states and local jurisdictions that the company operates.
Hands-on management of the monthly/quarterly/annual tax accounting and reporting requirements. Ensure timely and accurate preparation of tax returns as well as monitoring tax authority audits and ensuring that appropriate resources are available to respond and support any tax audit activity. Apply forward thinking and creativity to implement systems/tools/processes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization.
- Oversee completion of Federal and state income tax returns prepared by external CPA firm, including preparation of all related analysis and support
- Completion of sales & use tax, B&O tax, gross receipts tax and other returns, including all related analysis and support
- Oversee the completion of personal property tax returns, including preparation of all related analysis and support
- Ensure real property taxes are paid and accounted for accurately and timely
- Tax audit management and settlement negotiations
- Work closely with accounting and business departments to ensure information for tax compliance is obtained accurately and efficiently
- Manage tax calendar and ensure all returns, extensions, and payments are filed in a timely manner and appropriate documentations is maintained
- Monitor accuracy and completion of international tax returns that are required for local tax jurisdictions.
- In consideration of potential future business and entity creation internationally, develop and monitor monthly results of Transfer Price and adjust pricing mechanism; update domestic study; coordinate local study as necessary.
- Coordinate Value-Added Tax activities.
- Review and coordinate responses to notices and audits.
- Preparation of public company SEC compliant quarterly and annual disclosures
- Preparation of monthly and annual tax provision under ASC 740
- Prepare journal entries and account reconciliations for all tax related activities
- Develop, foster and implement a strong control environment (i.e. SOX) and ensure integration of those financial and operational controls into daily routines
- Develop and implement functional area policies and procedures
- Tax planning, forecasting and budgeting
- Estimation of annual cash taxes
- Tax analysis
- Research and develop tax-savings strategies
- Research the implications of tax laws/policies and advise senior management on tax-related issues
- Research tax incentives on future and existing locations
- Develop expertise and maintain knowledge of federal/state/local taxation (both income and indirect taxes)
- Liaison with operating management on tax issues and accounting staff on tax accounting issues
- Review, assess, and manage external tax advisor relationships
- Maintain focus on process improvements and recommend system implementations as needed to support growth and efficiency
- Support business development initiatives as needed to determine proper tax treatment/impact
- Hands-on approach and success in working in a team-based environment
- Ability and desire to “own” tax reporting and planning and be the sole contributor responsible for that function
- Strong communication skills, able to communicate complex technical matters and risks to executive management
- Ability to manage projects and ability to manage competing priorities
- A proactive leader who can lead the Company’s thinking on tax matters while maintaining flexibility to respond quickly to new developments in the business
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Master’s Degree in Taxation Preferred
- CPA preferred
- Public company tax experience
- Proficiency in US GAAP financial reporting of income taxes
- Experience with ERP and tax systems
- Retail or consumer products background preferred
- Experience in a top tier public accounting firm
- 7 - 10 years overall progressive experience
Benefits & Perks
We offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive health and wellness coverage, 401k with company match, wellness incentives including a monthly fitness reimbursement and onsite fitness classes, options for education reimbursement, and a discount on all products. We value work-life balance and offer a generous and flexible vacation policy. Thinking about adding little ones to your family? Honest offers generous maternity and paternity leave. We love the furry kids too and offer pet insurance so your companions are well taken care of.
California Privacy Rights Notice for Californian Job Applicants and Prospective Talent
Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), The Honest Company, Inc. (“Honest” or “us” or “we”) is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together “job applicants” or “you”) about the categories of personal information we may collect about you and the purposes for which we use this information. Click here if you are a California resident to read disclosures required by the CCPA. Note this notice applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect. We may collect the following categories of personal information about our job applicants, who are California residents:
- Social Security Number
- Email and mailing address
- Telephone number
- Employment history
How We Use Job Applicants' Personal Data. We use and disclose the personal information we collect for our business purposes. These business purposes include, without limitation:
- Processing evaluating your application to determine your qualifications for the role to which you’ve applied, and communicating with you about your application, including to check references or your background, and communicate with you about other jobs that may interest you.
- Other business purposes as identified in the CCPA, which include:
- Auditing related to our interactions with you;
- Legal compliance
- Detecting and protecting against security incidents, fraud, and illegal activity;
- Performing services for us, such as analytics;
- Internal research for technological improvement; and
- Internal operations.