Senior Software Engineer
Santa Barbara, CA
San Francisco, CA
At Sonos we want to create the ultimate listening experience for our customers and know that it starts by listening to each other. As part of the Sonos team, you’ll collaborate with people of all styles, skill sets, and backgrounds to realize our vision while fostering a community where everyone feels included and empowered to do the best work of their lives.
As a Senior Software Engineer working in the Audio Systems Technology team, you will build software features to drive best-in-class audio experiences across the Sonos hardware and software portfolio. You’re a creative problem solver who will leverage your experience in audio software, API design, or SDK implementation to build resilient, reliable, and maintainable software for innovative products.
You will be responsible for applying solid software design patterns and best practices needed to evolve and expand a core codebase of cross-hardware audio features to deliver new ideas and technical innovations into products that delight our customers and set the satisfaction bar higher. You will work independently as well as with a team of industry leading innovators in other engineering fields such as acoustics, mechanical, wireless, application software, hardware, and user experience. If you love sound, creating breakthrough new products, and solving challenging problems, Sonos wants to hear from you!
Who You Are:
- A skilled software engineer with a proven track record of designing and implementing production-ready APIs and SDKs; you are an advocate and leader of quality and best practices
- An open and honest collaborator who loves to share their knowledge and learn from others
- A curious and self-driven problem solver who is comfortable with ambiguity, takes initiative to drive results, and thrives in a fast-paced product environment
- A trusted team member whose respect for others shows up every day
What You’ll Do:
- Build production-ready software to support advanced audio features across Sonos’ portfolio of hardware and software products
- Collaborate with product hardware and software teams to define APIs and interfaces to integrate new and existing audio capabilities
- Reproduce, isolate, and debug complex low-level problems that may span interfaces between hardware and software
- Design, prototype, and robustly test audio software features on physical and simulated hardware
What You’ll Need:
- At least 5 years of industry experience with either a bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Software engineering or equivalent professional experience in lieu of a technical degree
- 3+ years of experience with modern C++ programming
- 3+ years of experience with at least one scripting language such as Python or Matlab
- Understanding of audio signal processing fundamentals (audio principles, signal flow, filtering, sampling theory, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience working with software for hardware
- Demonstrated experience with version control and modern CI/CD frameworks
- Familiarity with basic machine learning concepts
- Familiarity with basic acoustics principles (loudspeaker design, room acoustics, soundfield analysis, acoustic propagation, etc.)
- Deep GNU/Linux expertise
- Experience with iOS or Android development
- Experience working across multiple geographies and time zones
- Experience with AWS or other cloud data pipelines and services
At Sonos we consider a wide range of factors when determining compensation, which may lead individual compensation to vary depending on job related qualifications, skills, and experience. All full time employees are eligible for merit increases, discretionary bonuses, and equity.
Our job postings may span more than one career level and the base pay range may be modified in the future based on changing market conditions.
The starting base pay for this role for all US candidates is between:
$134,000 and $185,680
Please note that compensation details listed in US job postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
We also offer a comprehensive benefits program with choice and flexibility in mind to help support the health, wealth, and overall well-being of our employees. Regular full time employees in the US are eligible for benefits on day one, including:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- A 401(k) plan with company matching and immediate vesting
- An Open Time Off policy (OTO) so you have maximum opportunity to disconnect and recharge, with no tenure-based vacation accruals required
- 80 hours of sick time upon hire, refreshed annually
- Up to 12 paid holidays per calendar year
- 12 weeks of paid Bonding Leave following the birth or adoption of a new child, plus up to an additional 12 weeks of Medical Leave for birthing parents under our Short Term Disability policy
- Company-paid Disability, Life, and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary benefits, including Voluntary Life, AD&D, Accident, and Pet Insurance
- Mental health benefits to support your holistic well-being
- A generous employee discount program & Sonos Radio HD - on us!
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.
Your profile will be reviewed and you'll hear from us once we have an update. At Sonos we take the time to hire right and appreciate your patience.
Notice to U.S. Job Applicants: Sonos is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Follow the links to review the EEO is the Law poster and its supplement. Sonos is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.