Crooked believes that we need a better conversation about politics, culture, and the world around us—one that doesn’t just focus on what’s broken, but what we can do to fix it. We are a media network that showcases stories, voices, and opportunities for activism that inform, entertain, and inspire action, because it’s up to all of us to do our part to build a better world.
Crooked Media is looking for an LA-based senior producer who would be responsible for our daily news podcast “What A Day.” The ideal candidate is an established news producer or news editor with a passion for helping people understand the news, politics, and pop culture in creative ways, a significant track record of success, and experience managing a team. The candidate must have a clear idea of the Crooked brand, exceptional skills in talent management, and basic audio production knowledge.
“What A Day” breaks down the biggest stories of the day, tells you why they matter, and what you can do about it -- in a way that informs everyone, from political junkies to the rest of us, who can only take so much news each day because we live in a push alert nightmare factory.
This position requires working from 1pm-9pm PT Sunday-Thursday.
Crooked is moving towards a hybrid work model for our entire staff. Ideally we are looking for Los Angeles based candidates, or candidates willing to relocate within the first 3 months of accepting an offer.
How You’ll Spend Your Time:
Editorial supervision of producers, writers, and hosts
- Setting and maintaining the overall editorial vision for the show, collaborating with hosts and staff to execute on that vision and grow audience
- Running daily production, setting the show rundown, serving as lead writer and editor on scripts, booking & interview prep, giving notes on the final cut, ensuring consistent high quality delivery
- Running long term editorial planning, managing brainstorms, high profile bookings, tent-pole coverage, field reporting, special projects
- Collaborating with hosts and staff on segment and other creative development that mix news, comedy, and explanatory journalism to give listeners the necessary context to understand the major themes in news and politics today
- Assisting in recruitment and development of staff and hosts
Technical execution of a daily podcast
- Working with studio manager/audio engineer on the sound and technical aspects of the show
- Coordinating with video producers and social media teams to maximize audience for the show across all platforms
- Overseeing and vetting detailed production budgets
Operating as show steward to the rest of the company
- Working with Sales team to ensure ads have been recorded
- Coordinating cross-departmental efforts to build and publicize the show and other shows on the Crooked network through video, social, design, business development, and marketing efforts
- Contributing to other Crooked projects and properties as needed
The following characteristics are required of those in leadership positions (Director and above) at Crooked Media. Each leadership characteristic is part of the annual evaluation process and all are critical to effective leadership to advance our organization:
- A strong sense of ownership and excitement related to our mission
- A self-starter and leader who will guide the way of our programming initiatives
- A strong collaborator, who is eager to create a positive environment to work well with others and bring multiple stakeholders together to accomplish amazing things
- A strategic thinker and doer who maintains a strong balance between creative vision and project management skills, which many times will require one to actively roll up their sleeves to bring great ideas to life
- A facilitator of constructive conversations, who values diverse perspectives and promotes critical thinking to ensure compelling ideas are shared and valued.
What You’ll Bring To The Table:
- 8+ years of news, radio, podcast, or TV production experience
- 2+ years of managerial experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Strong editorial judgment about the news and creativity in how to cover it
- A passion and day-to-day interest in politics, pop culture, and social issues
- Understanding of journalism and journalistic ethics
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at once and work under pressure
- A self-motivated, proactive, scrappy, creative, accountable and nice attitude
- Proficiency with audio editing platforms (Audition, Pro Tools, etc.)
Pay and Perks:
At Crooked, we believe in paying employees at or above market rates that are informed by salary surveys and industry benchmarks. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer full-time employees excellent benefits including:
- Paid healthcare
- 401k match
- Generous vacation
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave
- A discretionary year-end bonus
- Did we also mention our offices are closed at the end of the year?
When we open up a position, we conduct a market analysis to ensure we have the most up-to-date data. Once we’re ready to extend an offer, we look at the individual’s years of relevant experience and other compensable factors to determine a competitive offer. And for this role, the starting salary range is $110,000 - 130,000.
We welcome everyone—as an inclusive workplace, we invite all our employees to bring their authentic, whole selves to work. Our mission and intent is to encourage people from every nation, race/ethnicity, belief, gender, gender identity, sexual identity, disability, and culture to feel respected and valued for their unique contributions to our company.
We approach our work courageously, adapt and improve constantly, and celebrate the wins big and small. We cultivate a culture of creativity and expression at Crooked Media. We hire the best talent, ensure they have the tools and training they need, and set them free. If you have a high degree of ownership and are driven to excel, you’ll fit right in.
That’s it. End of mission.