This is a unique opportunity to make an impact at a major consumer packaged goods company. The Senior Manager, Sustainable Brand Development will be the sustainability subject matter expert guiding the acceleration of brand strategies and product innovation across Campbell's Meals & Beverages and Snacks divisions. You will develop and manage enterprise, division-level and brand-level programs using your subject matter expertise in sustainability to support and elevate the company's commitments to environmental and social responsibility leaning into specific areas that are brand differentiators.
Your leadership strengths must include inspiring trust and driving organizational alignment with cross-functional resources and management, and an ability to thrive in ambiguity with a healthy tolerance for risk.
- Consumer Insights: Deepen sustainability and purpose insights within Divisions by highlighting sustainability and values-driven consumer business opportunities to brand marketing and R&D teams. Support the development of market research on sustainability with the consumer insights team and external stakeholders to help divisions and brand teams better understand consumer expectations around Sustainability. Educate and link different cross-functional groups to drive business growth through sustainability and social mission insights reporting, educational events, and internal coalitions.
- Brand Strategy: Help shape the long-term vision and 3-year strategic plan for key brands. Partner with category insights and brand leadership to identify sustainability opportunities to develop significant new platform innovations that will disrupt the core categories in which we compete.
- Business Integration: Identify integration opportunities for environmental and social responsibility within marketing and R&D brand activities; where appropriate, integrate sustainability pillars into product and brand guardrails. Align brand social mission efforts with corporate commitments and based on expertise and insights seek opportunities to push further at the brand level where it makes sense for that consumer target.
- Benchmarking: Regularly benchmark Campbell brands' ESG (environmental, social, governance/ethics) work with that of competitors and other CPG companies to offer advice and guidance to brands on successful initiatives.
- Tools & Resources: Promote enterprise approaches to sustainable marketing and product innovation activities and provide central access to tools and resources that encourage best practice sharing across brands.
Sustainability Program Management & Reporting (40%)
- Program Development: Help brands develop and deploy programs in line with our enterprise ESG and relevant targets (e.g., responsibly sourced ingredients, sustainable packaging, sustainable agriculture, environmental impact, social responsibility). Support brand teams in adopting sustainability programs and leveraging sustainability as a competitive advantage when in line with the brand purpose/positioning and strategy.
- Activation: For agreed-upon initiatives, own the development AND the execution of the plan, which includes oversight of cross-functional project teams, agencies and partners, managing program budgets, and creating and maintaining reports on program results for the brand. Identify untapped areas of demand within core category/segments to generate new platform, product, or commercial innovation ideas and commercialize them, including selling strategy, communications idea development and execution planning in partnership with Customer Marketing and Sales teams as well as external agency partners.
- Measurement and Reporting: Align brand sustainability goals, performance, and metrics with corporate ESG goals. Develop a process and system to measure, track and report progress on sustainability initiatives.
- Brand Storytelling: For agreed-upon brands/initiatives, develop communication campaigns, and strategic programs and partnerships to drive a differentiated brand position centered around sustainability and impact. Partner with division communication and brand PR teams to ensure sustainability and social impact storytelling opportunities align with company ESG priorities.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Develop and manage corporate stakeholder partnerships (customers, employees, suppliers, consumers, activists, non-governmental organizations, etc.) and inquiries related to social mission and sustainable brands.
- Thought Leadership: Represent the company as functional expert with relevant outside organizations, venues, and stakeholders. Provide thought leadership to inspire greatness, divergent thinking, and ongoing inspiration for business building product and marketing ideas.
This individual must have the ability to thrive in a highly ambiguous environment, possess the desire and curiosity to understand emerging trends and competitive activity in the sustainability space, demonstrate business savvy and influencing skills, and must have excellent leadership skills.
- Ability to communicate with audiences both internally and externally – brands/businesses, NGOs, agencies, suppliers, customers, peer audiences, etc.
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Curiosity and an interest in evolving consumer needs, and an ability to "connect the dots" from multiple sources of consumer and competitive research and trends as well as a deep understanding of competitive marketplace dynamics
- Stays abreast leading purpose, social mission, and sustainability brand positioning trends
- Experience in implementing cross-functional solutions and maintaining project momentum
- Is task oriented and a self-starter who stays calm under pressure and proactively takes on big ideas and projects; has a propensity to get things done in a complex operating environment
- Adept at inspiring action at all levels of the organization and through verbal and written communication
- Ability to navigate across various management levels with diplomacy, poise, and empathy
- Ability to navigate a matrix structure with demonstrated ability to influence without direct reporting lines
- As a champion, possesses a change leader spirit and thrives in leading the way, bringing stakeholders (who are less educated about the subject matter) along, and inspiring the organization
- A willingness not only to learn but to teach and bring fresh thinking to the organization as we seek to continually improve our knowledge, skills, and processes in the dynamic and competitive food industry
- Bachelor's Degree required with preferred related discipline in marketing or innovation and a focus on sustainability; MBA preferred
- 8+ years relevant experience working in a marketing, project management or sustainability capacity at organizations with a mix of consumer-facing brands, some of which lean heavier into environmental and/or social issue integration is preferred
- Consumer packaged goods, or related industry experience, including knowledge of food system issues and relevant environmental and societal impacts
- Strong industry knowledge of purpose-driven, socially and environmentally responsible brands, including related consumer trends/insights, channels and partners
- Strong proficiency in MS Office, specifically PPT
- Strategic thinking ability and creative talent to bring breakthrough ideas to market
- Strong analytic capability and project management skills
- Proven ability to drive results and impact in a matrix organization
- Passion for bringing company purpose to life in tangible ways
- Position can be based in Camden, NJ; Charlotte, NC; or Norwalk, CT
- Standard office work environment
- Travel Requirement: 15-25% in North America, primarily across Campbell's main office locations
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
In that regard, U.S. applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.