Senior Manager, Strategic Communications
PayPalAustin, TX18 days ago
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 375 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
This Sr Manager role will report to the VP, Global Communications and support strategic communications activities across PayPal’s blockchain, crypto and digital currencies efforts, working closely with the merchant and consumer communications teams as they launch new functionality within PayPal products.
As part of the Corporate Affairs team, PayPal’s Global Communications team is responsible for sharing the company’s compelling story and educating stakeholder groups including, customers, partners, media, influencers, and industry analysts on how PayPal products can help them in their daily life as they manage and move money personally or professionally.
In support of our acceleration in digital currencies we recently created a new unit inside PayPal focused on blockchain, crypto and digital currencies. This new business unit will be responsible for building and managing a robust platform, technology infrastructure, partnerships, and regulatory foundations to support and grow our existing buy, sell, hold functionality, as well as to drive continued innovation in the space.
This Sr Manager role will report to the VP, Global Communications and support strategic communications activities across PayPal’s blockchain, crypto and digital currencies efforts, working closely with the merchant and consumer communications teams as they launch new functionality within PayPal products. The role will focus on providing a full suite of external and internal communications leadership and support for a variety of efforts including thought leadership, influencer management, issues management and media relations. Media relations areas of emphasis may include, but are not limited to: Government Relations, Regulatory matters, Information Security, Customer Issues, and Risk and Compliance situations related to blockchain, crypto and digital currencies.
This role presents a unique opportunity for someone who possesses experience managing challenging, reputation impacting media issues in high profile, globally relevant situations in fast paced environments. The successful candidate will collaborate with other staff on a daily basis, including multiple team members across Communications and Corporate Affairs.
- Lead strategic communications planning for the business unit.
- Build and maintain relationships with key crypto-focused media and influencer contacts including journalists, bloggers and influencers spanning consumer, business, personal finance, and technology verticals.
- Work with reporters on incoming media relations inquiries to drive favorable outcomes.
- Develop a wide-range of communications materials including messaging, audience-first content, communications plans, blog posts, reactive statements, presentations, briefing materials and coverage reports.
- Support day-to-day media inquiries and briefings.
- Work cross-functionally with members of the product and global communications teams to ensure consistency, share resources, and facilitate collaboration.
- Work collaboratively across Corporate Affairs to proactively identify and mitigate potential risks to PayPal.
- Assist with metrics, analytics, insights and evaluating new best practices.
- Minimum 8 years of agency or in-house experience; relevant financial sector industry experience, a plus, but not a requirement. Public affairs and/or political experience also a plus.
- Proven track record of serving as a spokesperson and driving proactive and reactive media relations strategy and execution.
- Established crypto reporter relationships and desire to expand network to relevant industry and company beat reporters.
- Experience and willingness to pick up the phone and proactively/reactively work complex stories with top tier media in a range of situations – on the record, background, off the record, etc.
- Ability to deliver results in high pressure situations. Must have a track record of developing strategic communications plans, messaging and related materials under deadline pressure.
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of data and distill key points clearly, succinctly, and quickly.
- An excellent writer and communicator who is committed to simple, clear, and creative ways of communicating.
- Well versed in communications measurement and monitoring, with proven record of using top platforms to analyze data and trends.
- Must be able work independently and without direction as well as collaboratively with colleagues.
- Ability to think creatively and desire to push past the status quo.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- A passion to further PayPal’s brand and vision of democratizing financial services.
- Position to be based in Austin, TX (Preferred). New York, NY and Bay Area, CA may be considered.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.