Senior Manager, Environmental, Health & Safety
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is committed to being the best global kitchen and laundry company, in constant pursuit of improving life at home. In an increasingly digital world, the company is driving purposeful innovation to meet the evolving needs of consumers through its iconic brand portfolio, including Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, JennAir, Indesit, Yummly and InSinkErator. In 2022, the company reported approximately $20 billion in annual sales, 61,000 employees and 56 manufacturing and technology research centers. Additional information about the company can be found at WhirlpoolCorp.com.
The team you will be a part of:
The Environmental, Health and Safety team designs, develops, implements and oversees the organization's environmental health and safety programs and procedures to safeguard employees and surrounding communities and to ensure that all facilities are in compliance with regulations.
Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) is core to Whirlpool’s Mission and foundational values. Whirlpool is seeking to drive significant impact in the organization by further standardizing and maturing the EHS function regionally in North America. This will enable the enterprise to leverage best practices, key learnings, and expertise both regionally and globally, enabling us to Protect What Matters, including our people, our customers and our #1 position. This position is located at our Amana, IA Manufacturing Plant.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Provide leadership, guidance and direction to site EHS personnel, including performance assessments.
- Resolve a wide scope of complex EHS situations.
- Provide in-depth analysis of metrics and apply technical knowledge to improve site safety and environmental performance.
- Lead Safety, Environment and Energy World Class Manufacturing (WCM) pillars as EHS subject matter expert.
- Oversee & drive all WCM Pillar activity for the function and collaborate across all pillars to ensure EHS is embedded and foundational.
- Work collaboratively with all levels of the organization; coach, train, and mentor Operation Leaders regarding site safety program requirements, expectations and WCM methodology.
- Implement programs, practices and procedures designed to reduce safety risks and environmental impact of manufacturing operations.
- Responsible for successfully managing health, safety and environmental compliance for the operation.
- Maintain fiscal responsibility by operating within budget while continually seeking functional cost reduction opportunities.
- Interface with regional and peer site safety personnel to lead initiatives, share learnings/ best practices and collaborate on execution plans.
- Manage and facilitate EHS local audits and corporate governance programs; site liaison for governmental & agency inspections.
- Manage EHS incident/injury reporting and recordkeeping requirements; ensure timely investigation and corrective action completion.
- Partner cross-functionally to ensure site medical services and return-to-work programs for ill or injured employees are delivered effectively.
- Ensure site hazard/risk analysis program is implemented as required.
- Partner cross-functionally to develop and deliver site EHS training strategy.
- Accountable for maintaining and reporting on key EHS metrics/KPIs for the site.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable regulations and legislation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in EHS, Occupational Health, Engineering, Science, or related field.
- 10+ years of combined experience in Environment, Health & Safety in an industrial/heavy manufacturing setting.
- Proven knowledge of OSHA CFR 1910 and 1926, NFPA, and environmental regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
- Proven experience in large, complex plant environment.
- Ability to form, lead, motivate, and direct a strong and effective team.
- Project management experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of safety and environmental management systems.
- Experience in Lean Manufacturing Methods.
- Experience in Word Class Manufacturing methodology.
- Certified Safety Professional or other relevant certification.
- Strong knowledge of ergonomic principles.
- Communication and support to 24-hour / day assembly processes.
Whirlpool’s Ways of Working:
Our goal is to provide an environment that helps you bring your best to Whirlpool every day. We apply ‘always on’ flexibility to all work days. You will have the autonomy to manage personal, family, and outside-of-work commitments as needed. We offer other flexibility and industry-leading time-off benefits that will help you balance what’s important at work and at home, including:
- Two-Week Work Remote from Anywhere - Minimum of one-week increments for a total of two weeks per year.
- Sabbatical - Four weeks paid leave after every five years of service.