Senior Litigation Counsel
The Genentech Litigation team is seeking a Senior Litigation Attorney (Patent Litigation) whose passion lies in litigating and advising as a co-owner of the business to enable Genentech to “do now what patients need next.” As a partner and key business strategist, this individual will have experience in managing complex litigations and other adversarial proceedings in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or related life science industry. This position will be based onsite in South San Francisco, CA.
- Managing an active and varied caseload of litigations, appeals, and other adversarial proceedings, while advising on substantive legal strategy with foresight and appropriate risk tolerance.
- We are looking for candidates specializing in patent litigations in the life sciences. Experience with Hatch-Waxman ANDA and/or biosimilars matters, both in court and at the PTAB, is preferred. Additional experience with investigations, commercial contract disputes and/or product liability cases, and/or experience in an in-house setting is also preferred, but not required.
- Partnering closely with business clients and legal department colleagues to advise on a range of strategic issues while using a practical and business-minded approach;
- Developing strategies to avoid or resolve regional, national and international disputes, including directly negotiating license agreements and settlements;
- Counseling on multi-jurisdictional litigations or other proceedings, including coordinating with counterparts in US and around the world;
- Serving as a thought leader for the litigation group in one or more substantive areas;
- Contributing to cross-functional or departmental projects and teams;
- Working effectively in teams and with a cross-section of stakeholders within the organization;
- The successful candidate must also be able to work closely and independently with internal domestic/international research & development, commercial, manufacturing, partnering, finance and tax units, among other business units.
- This position requires being in the office three days per week when not away, but with the opportunity to work remotely for up to 8 weeks per year.
Who You Are
- J.D. with Bar admission and at least 8+ years’ litigation experience, with extensive experience in directly managing complex adversarial matters in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology or related life science industry.
- Substantive expertise in the areas of law mentioned above
- Trial experience required.
- Must be admitted to a State bar or the District of Columbia bar.
- Excellent academic credentials required.
- A degree (undergraduate or graduate) in a biological science or chemistry is preferred, but not required, for this position.
Strategic Litigation Expert:
- Demonstrated experience in resolving challenging legal issues and proven ability to deliver sound, clear, practical legal advice in a business setting.
- Superior negotiation skills.
- Ability to approach complex problems with a creative mindset.
- Excellent judgment and interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding writing and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Superior client-relations skills.
- An awareness and ability to engage with others of diverse backgrounds.
Adaptive and Results-Oriented Performer:
- Ability to prioritize and work with agility across multiple projects.
- Ability to work both in a team and independently.
- Aptitude and interest to learn the scientific/technical side of the business.
- Comfortable with getting outside of one’s comfort zone, and stepping into new areas of practice or business.
Travel: Ability to travel worldwide in conjunction with managing and resolving disputes.
Relocation benefits are not available for this job posting.
The expected salary range for this position based on the primary location of South San Francisco, California is $194,500 to $361,300. Actual pay will be determined based on experience, qualifications, geographic location, and other job-related factors permitted by law. A discretionary annual bonus may be available based on individual and Company performance. This position also qualifies for the benefits detailed at the link provided below.
Who we are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer, and we embrace the increasingly diverse world around us. Genentech prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers Homepage.
If you have a disability and need an accommodation in relation to the online application process, please contact us by completing this form Accommodations for Applicants.