Senior Legal Counsel
For those seeking a positive career move
Are you a lawyer looking to be part of a successful, fast-paced, Canada-based multinational company providing cutting-edge information technology services? Does working at the intersection of commercial law and evolving technologies stimulate you? Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit and relish being a stakeholder as much as an employee? If so, we have a position for you.
A rewarding and challenging position
As a Legal Counsel, you will join the Canada (Commercial) Legal group, reporting to a Legal Director and be part of CGI’s wider global Legal, Security and Privacy team. This role primarily supports CGI’s ‘Western Business Unit’ that services public and private sector clients in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan. You will be based in any of the following CGI offices: Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Vancouver or Victoria, with a hybrid work model presently in effect.
Your future duties and responsibilities:
Your experience with and passion for commercial law and technology matters will make you a valued business partner and you will be engaged in the following work:
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and providing timely advice in respect of a wide range of commercial agreements, with a particular focus on information-technology related agreements.
- Reviewing requests for proposals from private sector and governmental clients.
- Participating in stakeholder business opportunity assessment meetings to determine legal risks involved.
- Advising stakeholders on CGI’s policies, procedures and frameworks.
- Advising on day-to-day commercial legal inquiries and regulatory compliance.
- Managing and resolving contractual disputes.
- Facilitate the growth of the Legal team’s support for the Western Business Unit.
- Supporting team members based in Toronto and Montreal, as needed.
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
- Law degree from a recognized law school and a member in good standing of a Canadian provincial bar association in your applicable work location.
- 5+ years’ experience as a lawyer in a national or international law firm and/or within an in-house legal department, specializing in commercial law matters.
- Experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts; information technology related contracts in particular is an asset.
- Strong analytical, negotiating and drafting skills.
- Effective prioritization and management of multiple legal matters.
- Good and practical business and legal judgment, and ability to balance business needs and risk.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced and dynamic environment.
Perks at working at CGI
- CGI hold several nominations, such as the Best Workplace to work in Technology (2019-2020), Forbes World’s Best Employers 2020, Great Place to Work® Certified Canada (2019-2021), and many more recognitions around the world;
- Flexible health spending and insurance benefits program, CGI-subsidized Share Purchase Plan and annual Profit Participation Plan;
- Career development program.
What you can expect from us:
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change—supporting our clients’ digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer. In addition, CGI is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in accordance with provincial legislation. Please let us know if you require a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during any aspect of the recruitment process and we will work with you to address your needs.