Senior Fullstack Engineer
SupergreatAnywherea month ago
Supergreat is a beauty community where everyone’s an expert on the products that work for them; a platform that makes it fun for beauty enthusiasts to discuss and create video reviews, share their beauty routines, and discover new products from people they relate to. You can find Supergreat in the App Store or on the web.
We're a fast-moving startup based in NYC, looking for a Senior Fullstack Engineer to lead the engineering efforts for supergreat.com and our other web systems. Although this engineer should be comfortable working across the stack, they'll be responsible for guiding frontend architectural practices and should have a solid foundation there. We're eager to work with a product-thinking engineer who enjoys collaborating with designers and product to build great user experiences. We also care about the performance and long-term maintainability of our codebases, and will look to you to set the right practices here.
Supergreat is a tight-knit team of 16 where people are excited about wearing multiple hats and tackling challenges they've never encountered before. We are backed by top investors including Benchmark, Thrive Capital, Third Kind, and angels including founders of Rent the Runway, Product Hunt, Thrive Market, and Tumblr.
In this role, you'll be responsible for:
- Designing, building, and maintaining supergreat.com and other web systems (e.g.: internal tools, review embeds)
- Guiding frontend architectural decisions
- Establishing and owning service-level objectives (SLOs) for web, e.g.: performance and uptime metrics
We're looking for someone who:
- Has 5+ years fullstack engineering experience
- Understands how to build scalable and maintainable systems, with a particular focus on frontend technologies
- Has production experience with React
- Is comfortable debugging frontend performance issues
- Focuses on the experience of users – their 'definition of done' means that their work solves the user's needs and feels great!
Projects you may work on in the next six months:
- Create a personalized logged-in web experience that lets Supergreat users discover videos about products and brands they’ll love based on their personal traits and existing products
- Work on our Shopify app that will let brands connect directly to Supergreat, embedding content from our community on their site and letting them run Live events and Drops from within their Shopify dashboard
- Enhance and refine our Next.js-based universal web app, responsible for powering our main site pages as well as hundreds of thousands of long-tail pages that drive the majority of our organic web traffic via search engines
- Build interactive social shopping experiences on the web to power our Live Drop events
- Extend our existing off-site embed infrastructure that lets sites like Refinery29 and dozens of beauty brands power ugc-driven video carousels on their own sites
- React and Next.js for web
- Node.js with TypeScript and Express for our API
- Python for data science systems and data workflows
- iOS app built in Swift, RxSwift
- CI and deploys using Heroku
What it's like to work at Supergreat:
At Supergreat, we offer our team competitive compensation including equity in the company. PTO is unlimited, with paid holidays and a flexible work schedule. We also offer comprehensive health benefits.
Our team values collaboration – it's great if an engineer is open to working with peers across the company to understand user needs, collaborate on design, and gather input on a technical decision. We operate in six week development cycles, and there's a healthy amount of autonomy to solve problems. We're conscious of how meetings can interrupt concentration, and are creating an environment where engineers have large blocks of time to focus. Our team is flat – our founders have backgrounds in design and engineering, and you'll frequently be working alongside them on initiatives here.
Prior to COVID, we largely worked from a beautiful office space in Tribeca, NYC and enjoyed company outings, happy hours, and weekly team lunches together. Since the crisis, we've adapted to working remotely and are now distributed across the US and Europe. We realize that the future of physical work is unclear and that our team values flexibility – with that in mind, we're open to hiring remotely going forward.