Senior Full Stack Engineer
The Washington Post is hiring a Senior Full Stack Engineer for our Licensing & Syndication business. This role builds and supports applications that enable purchasing Washington Post content around the world. This role requires a close relationship with the newsroom’s editorial staff and its publishing systems as well as interactions with marketing and sales. You will expand Marketing’s capabilities to offer and sell Post content through integration with the digital publishing ecosystem. In this role, you directly support revenue generation plus an opportunity to work with colleagues from all parts of the company from Marketing to the Newsroom.
- You have a passion to write flexible and reusable code
- You are energized working with front end and back end technologies
- You have an eye for detail and passion for quality
- You will directly impact the work of our colleagues across the organization with every release
- You are obsessed with understanding the big picture and how your work fits in
- You will have opportunities to work on multiple projects and deliver a variety of features and services.
- You love to collaborate to figure out solutions to the toughest problems
- You have an aptitude to simplify and communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Utilize AngularJS, React and NextJS front end technologies on our frontend applications.
- Work across many backend services which power external and internal facing applications
- Utilize Spring framework, Java (JSP) on backend applications.
- Leverage and execute high level understanding of CSS architecture (SMACSS), CSS preprocessors (SASS/LESS), and utility-based frameworks (Tailwind/Material UI)
- Write high-quality code with best practices and design patterns in mind andengage in code review/quality assurance.
- Engage with your fellow engineers from different teams and disciplines to create a dynamic and scalable architecture.
- Consult with your business partners to form sprint goals and work through business and technical challenges.
- Optimize the underlying AWS infrastructure for performance and cost.
- Use your experience to help guide technical decisions and participate in technical architecture discussions.
- This role requires limited on-call hours. An on-call schedule is on a rotating basis
- and will be determined a couple of months after you join, taking into account team size and other variables.
It’s okay to not meet 100% of these requirements! We’re primarily looking for people who meet some of these requirements and are motivated to learn new technologies and expand their skill set.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, equivalent field, or equivalent experience.
- 5 years + experience working as a software engineer
- Proficiency with back-end technologies such as Java, Spring Boot, and JUnit.
- Strong experience in command line (Unix & Linux) navigation and revision tracking (Git)
- Experience with DevOps technologies such as Docker and Jenkins.
- Hands-on expertise with Amazon Web Services (AWS) such as S3, EC2, ELB, SES, Elastic Beanstalk, and CloudWatch.
- Varied experience with databases, MongoDB and MySQL preferred
- Experience writing unit and integration tests to ensure code quality (Cypress, Jest).
- Excellent communication, documentation and presentation skills for technical and business audiences.
- Experience in an Agile environment.
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status.
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn’t end in the Newsroom – dozens of teams power The Washington Post. We are now hiring the next innovator – how will you Impact Tomorrow?