Senior Financial Accountant
The purchase of The Washington Post by Amazon founder, Jeff Bezos, has propelled the company into the elite set of US digital publishers. Along with the robust investment and record-breaking growth in revenue, traffic and subscriptions comes the responsibility of providing complete and accurate financial information to enable the company’s leaders to make informed strategic decisions. We are looking for a Senior Revenue Accountant to support the accounting operations & revenue close processes for TWP’s circulation business, which includes print and digital subscriptions. Adaptability to ever changing business priorities with an understanding of how various puzzle pieces fit into the big picture is crucial to this role.
The ideal candidate will have 3 + years of revenue operations and/or general ledger will be a dynamic and self-motivated member of the team interested in working with a forward-looking financial accounting and reporting group. You will be charged with using your technical accounting knowledge combined with comprehensive judgment to record, reconcile, and report results.
A strong candidate in this position must possess intellectual curiosity, attention to detail and dedication to quality. The position’s responsibilities will include accounting for our digital and print circulation revenue and expenses, and various other business activities, assisting with the monthly general ledger close and providing support to the annual audit and financial statement preparation.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Manage digital and print circulation revenue recognition process, including the preparation and review of month end journal entries, variance analysis of actual revenue and expenses to budget, coordination with multiple departments to collaborate on issues and business developments.
- Provide information and reporting to our Financial, Planning and Analysis team (“FP&A”) in support of their budgeting and forecasting responsibilities.
- Manage various data portals and prepare reporting to accurately and timely prepare monthly revenue and expense entries.
- Work closely with accounting operations team to resolve any issues that may arise.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations for deferred revenue, accounts receivable subsidiary ledgers to general ledger and various other balance sheet account reconciliations as assigned.
- Provide supporting documentation for internal, external, and other ad-hoc audit requests for areas of responsibility.
- Identify areas for process improvements, including leveraging technological solutions to improve efficiencies and assist in the implementation of robotic processing automation.
- Participate with active projects and meet daily/weekly as needed with Engineering , FP&A, and project managers team to solve financial accounting related issues.
- Maintain and update internal process documentation for existing accounting procedures and policies.
- Prepare annual audit schedule and perform special project, analysis, and ad hoc reporting as needed
- Support general ledger accounting functions including but not limited to journal entry preparation, month-end close processes, financial reporting accuracy, account reconciliations, and flux analysis of balance sheet and income statement accounts
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders
- Perform ad hoc tasks under the supervision of the manager, as needed
- Degree in Accounting (CPA preferred)
- 3+ years of revenue operations and/or general ledger accounting experience
- A demonstrated understanding of applicable accounting standards
- Strong Excel skills are required; experience with Power Pivot and macros are preferred
- Strong communication skills are required
- Knowledge of SAP, Oracle, and Blackline are preferred
- Ability to work effectively and organized in a dynamic and fast-paced team environment is a requirement
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn’t end in the Newsroom – dozens of teams power The Washington Post. We are now hiring the next innovator – how will you Impact Tomorrow?