Senior Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
At UL, we know why we come to work.
Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
What you’ll learn & achieve:
This role is based on-site at our Northbrook, IL campus
Reporting to the Regional EHS Manager, the Senior EHS Specialist is responsible for establishing and promoting safe and healthy working conditions for all employees and investigates conditions that may affect employee health and comfort.
- Develops, implements, documents and maintains environmental health and safety (EHS) programs (e.g. hazardous materials, safe operation of equipment, emergency response plans) in compliance with Federal, State and Local legislation.
- Assists in analysis, interpretation and validation of information on hazardous materials/chemicals and exposure monitoring results.
- Oversees incident investigations, root cause analysis, and drives corrective action implementation.
- Leads projects or actions to drive hazard/risk reduction throughout the business.
- Conducts EHS assessments (PPE, Hazard/Risk for new equipment/process, Safety Walks, 5S, etc.).
- Works directly with large and diverse groups of employees in multiple levels of the organization.
- Reads and follows the UL Solutions Code of Conduct and follows all physical and digital security practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What makes you a great fit:
- University Degree in Occupational Safety and Health, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Industrial Hygiene, or Chemical, Electrical, Environmental, Mechanical Engineering or closely related field plus additional requirement of one of the following:
- Related Master’s degree or Certified Safety Professional (Board of Certified Professionals), Certified Industrial Hygienist (American Board of Industrial Hygiene), Professional Engineer license and minimum 6 years directly related experience.
What you’ll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: All employees at UL are eligible for bonus compensation. UL offers a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. We provide Healthcare Reimbursement Accounts and Health Savings Accounts that UL contributes to twice per year! Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.