Senior Engineering Manager
Who We Are
Babylist is the leading digital destination for growing families. For over a decade, Babylist has been the technology solution for expecting parents and the community that supports them, expanding from baby registry into a full-service platform that helps parents make decisions with confidence, stay connected and build happy and healthy families. Every year Babylist helps over 9M people make purchases through its registry, app, ecommerce shop and comprehensive product guides. The Babylist ecosystem now includes Babylist Health, which provides access to products and services including insurance-covered breast pumps, Expectul, a new voice in health and wellness for pre-pregnancy through postpartum care, and The Push, a branded content studio that works with the biggest companies in the baby space. With over 59M monthly pageviews and 1.2M TikTok followers, Babylist is a generational brand leading the $88 billion baby product industry.
Our Ways of Working
We have team members located across the United States spanning multiple time zones. This means we put in extra effort to make sure we connect and collaborate in ways that make sense for us. We know how valuable the flexibility of remote work is for our employees.
We know that personal connection is the foundation for the great work we do together. In order to build those relationships with team members in other cities, we meet with coworkers in person two times a year at a full company offsite and a departmental offsite. These offsites are expected of employees and are great opportunities to meet the people you work with every day and to do some of the work that is much more difficult to do virtually.
Our Tech Stack
- Ruby on Rails
- Native iOS and Android
What the Role Is
The Senior Engineering Manager, Babylist Shop will lead the most critical initiatives for Babylist on our path to becoming thespecialty retailer in baby commerce. Babylist is already a leading generational brand with more than 9 million people making purchases from our store every year, but the opportunity to seize a significantly larger part of the $88B baby product industry is incredible. With a huge brand like BuyBuyBaby going out of business, this leaves a hole in the space and Babylist is positioned very well to not only fill, but dominate this specialty market.
You will lead and hire a new team of experienced software engineers to deliver an aggressive roadmap. You must be an influential, experienced, and highly-technical leader that’s adept at building and maintaining a culture of engagement and excellence. You will build and maintain productive relationships with our CEO, VP of Engineering, Director of Engineering, and other senior leaders across the business.
Who You Are
- Before becoming a leader you were a high-performing engineer with a track record of end to end software development of live systems. Ideally you have done this in a Ruby on Rails environment.
- You have experience in building ecommerce shopping solutions. Experience in specific areas like Product Information Management Systems, Offers and Pricing, Product Recommendations, Search and Discovery, Catalog, Check Out Experience, and/or building the infrastructure around a best in class ecommerce shopping experience will be highly valuable
- You have experience in experimentation and a/b testing that will lead us to building a super powerful ecommerce store and experience for our customers
- You have led high functioning teams and meaningfully built and maintained engineering culture
- You’ve successfully led teams through growth and change which means you know how to adapt but also set and maintain standards for your team that scale with the business
- You are a great coach of engineers with experience hiring, developing talent, and giving feedback
How You Will Make An Impact
- Define, build, and maintain high-performance, results-driven, and collaborative culture that's aligned with Babylist's core values
- Capitalize on the foundation of Babylist and our engaged customer base to further build out a more powerful shopping experience
- Own the tactical planning and execution for your team while partnering with other Engineering and Product leaders on shared goals against Babylist's strategic imperatives
- Be a thought leader and expert in the ecommerce store/shopping domain by prioritizing the highest value areas
- Empower and inspire your team to achieve their highest potential. Play the key role in on-boarding and mentoring your team
- Serve as a thought leader for the technical roadmap. Help the team on key technical decisions by providing guidance around process, tooling and systems
- Be accountable for your team. Help them to ship high-quality software that meets the business needs
- Own communication across the product development team and company regarding key milestones, providing frequent transparent updates on progress towards our goals
- Partner closely with product owners to design, implement, and deploy systems to support and scale our growing e-commerce business
Why You Will Love Working At Babylist
- We invest in the infrastructure you’ll need to be supported and successful: tools, opportunities to connect with colleagues, and a stipend to help you set up your office
- We build products that have a positive impact on millions of people’s lives
- We work at a sustainable pace which means work/life balance is a real thing here
- We believe technology and data can solve hard problems
- We believe in exceptional management
- We are an antiracist organization and doing the work to support differences of all kinds
- We offer competitive pay and meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We have great benefits like company paid medical, dental, and vision, a generous paid parental leave policy, and 401k with company match
- We care about employee wellbeing with perks for physical, mental and emotional health, parenting, childcare, and financial planning
Babylist takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. Your actual base salary will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location.
The estimated pay range for this role is:
In addition, Babylist offers equity, bonus, and benefits, including company paid health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) matching, flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies.
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.