Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Our location in Abbott Park, Illinois currently has an opportunity for a Senior Director, Public Affairs.
The individual will play a pivotal role in helping formulate, execute and sustain a global external communications strategy to advance and protect the company's reputation. This position requires a strategic thinker and creative storyteller who has demonstrated the ability to work with top tier media globally and strong contacts and working relationships with a variety of business, financial and consumer media. This person must have an excellent understanding of the news business, media trends and the converged media landscape and have a portfolio of media placements driven by him/her that support company reputation across a number of attributes, including product, management, citizenship, financial, and premier employer.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Protect Abbott’s global reputation and spotlight the company and its leaders through proactive media relations.
- Drive financial communications strategies and messaging related to earnings, transactions, key regulatory filings and other situations to media.
- Serve as a communications advisor, counselor and coach to senior leaders; identify external communications opportunities and create and execute strategies to support them.
- Develop content for the company's media center on abbott.com and for the @AbbottNews Twitter channel.
- Cultivate a deep understanding of and strong relationship with the media and social media influencers.
- Maintain and develop relationships with editors and reporters through thoughtful, strategic engagement.
- Serve as media point person and corporate spokesperson.
- Prepare company spokespeople for media interviews.
- Develop strategies for media issues and contribute strategic media input for crises.
Must be a strong teammate who:
- Operates with principled leadership and sound business ethics, exercising the highest level of integrity
- Can adapt to an organization in transition; entrepreneurial mindset combined with an ability to navigate in a large, complex organization
- Takes a global view
- Treats others with respect – listens and cares
Position Accountability / Scope
- Report directly to the Divisional Vice President of External Communications
- Readiness to travel 25%+ annually
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, public relations or related field.
- More than 10 years of experience in media relations, with a deep understanding of how to use external communications to enhance reputation.
- Skilled at building public and media trust to enhance business reputation.
- Strong contacts and working relationships with a variety of top tier media
- Able to achieve results while dealing with ambiguity and a rapid pace of change.
- Demonstrated ability to use communications to drive business results.
- Excellent writer and talker who can organize, summarize, clarify and communicate ideas simply, succinctly and accurately.
- Experience in developing and implementing media relations plans and proven ability in placing media stories and managing relationships with national/international contacts
- Experienced writer and editor who can demonstrate use of social media to support traditional media outreach.
- Consumer products or technology experience.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.