Senior Director, Operations
Quick take: Axios is a fast-growing media company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a Senior Director of Operations for Axios Local to join our Operations team reporting into the SVP, Operations.
Why it matters: In the past five years, Axios has scaled a portfolio of national editorial products. Now, our sights are set on Local: building high-quality, profitable must-reads in vibrant, influential communities around the country. We’re in 30 cities already and headed for 100. This individual will support Axios Local, working with teams across the company.
Go deeper: This role will:
- Serve as the source of truth for project management across Editorial, Revenue, and every functional department, including timelines, budget approvals, dependency management and project decisions
- Lead cross-functional communications (meetings, internal newsletters) to provide essential context and data to stakeholders and decision-makers
- Own setting, tracking and communication of KPIs and key initiatives, with special focus on high-growth Local cities
- Build and execute a roadmap of requirements and systems that support cost-efficient scale for each part of the local operation (e.g. project management, revenue, editorial)
- Partner especially closely with the VP, Local Revenue and Managing Editor, Local to maintain the Local business model to support long-term sustainability
- Initiate and own special projects deemed critical to Local goals (e.g. city launches, establishing new processes)
- Partner with stakeholders, People Ops and Finance to optimize resources against our goals, including headcount and other expenses
- With the Operations team, set the agenda to ensure teams are working in concert to deliver on Local in line with other Axios priorities
- Within the Operations team, contribute to the buildout of effective Axios-wide systems and processes that help us meet our goals
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have the following experience:
- Track record of working with and influencing many high-level internal stakeholders
- Comfort driving candid conversations and hard prioritization decisions
- Experience performing communications and project management roles, specifically within fast-growth, cross-functional teams
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Media experience, or other operational experience that crosses business, technology, and content teams
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Base salary and bonus for this role is in the range of $140,000-$180,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.