Senior Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance
The Senior Director of FSQA is a vital partner in the daily success of Kiva Confections, ensuring the company complies with all Kiva Standards and overseeing regulators. This individual will manage and improve current FSQA programs. Most importantly the Senior Director of FSQA will be responsible for building and scaling a premier nationwide FSQA program for one of the largest cannabis edibles companies in the United States. The Senior Director of FSQA will drive Kiva manufacturing plants to GFSI level audit compliance through hiring, training, audits, and seeking outside counsel.
This job is for you, if...
- You excel at building and scaling.
- You are passionate about FSQA and the its place as a strategic partner to Manufacturing, R&D, and Sales.
- You have extensive knowledge and experience in running an FSQA program in a food manufacturing plant
- You lead with “Yes” but your north star is safety and quality
- You are a wealth of compliance knowledge, coaching and mentoring those around you
- You love managing and building teams that thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- You are a great coach and mentor, leading with compassion and kindness, but balance that with accountability
- You are proactive. You spot issues before they become problems and move quickly to resolve them
- You are great communicator. You are great at getting buy-in cross departments and are results-driven
As the Kiva Director of Food Safety & Quality Assurance, you will...
- Oversee the development and implementation of all food safety, food quality, internal audit, supplier approval, chemical control programs and ensure compliance to all related policies, procedures, and specifications
- Direct and manage areas of function regarding Quality Control, Quality Assurance and Sanitation ensuring adherence to all FDA-FSMA, GMP, HACCP and Code of Federal Regulations
- Develop and implement food safety plans and critical metrics to assure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Develop, manage, and promote continuous quality improvement activities for the companyLead efforts to assure compliance with the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), GFSI, and other regulatory and environmental compliance programs
- Foster a culture of Continuous Improvement and deliberate problem solving through implementation and training of CI Tools
- Collect, analyze, and summarize data from the field, production, or internal testing to effectively make improvements to product, processes, or standards.
- Educate plant teams on collection and utilization of data as a continuous improvement tool.
- Work cooperatively with all departments (Sales, GEO, Purchasing, Manufacturing, Warehouse, Accounting, etc.) to approve and launch new products to the market.
- Support the R&D initiatives working collaboratively with operations leadership in designing and implementing systems and processes that improve both product/process quality and operating efficiency.
- Develop proactive relationships with Sales, Customer Service and Strategic Customers to ensure customer expectations are accurately reflected in KPIs, Specifications and key process requirements.
- Oversee external audits of raw material manufacturers, packaging manufacturers, contract laboratories and other suppliers as directed.
- Oversee the maintenance of regulatory databases, archives, and quality management system
- Responsible for conducting and reviewing investigations relating to customer/consumer complaints, deviations
- Ensure compliance to all federal, state and local regulatory requirements
- Ensure compliance to all state cannabis regulatory requirements for manufacturing
- Proactively identify potential and emerging food safety issues and develop strategies to investigate and respond effectively
- Develop and deliver Food Safety & Quality Management System training
- Manage all out of state Kiva manufacturing program managers
What we're looking for...
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Science or a related field is required
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Director of FSQA in a food manufacturing facility with experience leading teams and building programs
- Cannabis experience is not required, but preferred
- Relevant certifications: SQF practitioner, FSMA certified, HACCP certified
- Work is typically based in a busy office environment and subject to frequent interruptions.
- Business work hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, however some extended or weekend hours may be required.
- Requires intermittent standing, walking, sitting, squatting, stretching and bending throughout the workday.
- May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 25 lbs.
Kiva Confections provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
DISCLOSURE TO JOB APPLICANTS PURSUANT TO THE CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY ACT (CCPA)
As part of your job application and the Company’s evaluation of your candidacy, the Company collects, receives, maintains, and uses the following types of Personal Information about you for the business purposes identified for each category:
Category: Personal Identifiers
Examples: Name, alias, postal or mailing address, email address, telephone number, social security number, driver’s license or state identification card number, passport number
- To comply with state and federal law and regulations requiring; employers to maintain certain records;
- To evaluate your job application and candidacy for employment;
- To obtain and verify background check and references; and
- To communicate with you regarding your candidacy for employment.
Category: Pre-Hire Information
Examples: Job application, resume, background check results, job interview notes, and candidate evaluation records
Business Purpose: Same as above
Category: Employment History
Examples: Information regarding prior job experience, positions held, names of prior supervisors, reference information, skills and when permitted by applicable law your salary history or expectations
Business Purpose: Same as above
Category: Education Information
Examples: Information from resumes regarding educational history; transcripts or records of degrees, vocational certifications, licenses obtained
Business Purpose: Same as above
If you become employed by the Company, the Company will notify you of additional categories of Personal Information that it collects, receives, and maintains for business purposes.