Senior Director, Federal Government Relations & Policy
The Senior Director for Federal Government Relations & Policy, will be responsible for leading Univision’s day-to-day government relations efforts in support of TelevisaUnivision’s legislative, regulatory, and policy goals and priorities. The individual will drive TelevisaUnivision’s presence and position in Washington, D.C., related to issues impacting the company, industry, and community. The individual will work closely with key internal and external constituents to identify and pursue opportunities to advance the objectives of TelevisaUnivision and the industry.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with media, broadcast and technology policy issues, be capable of leading high-level meetings with members of Congress, federal agencies, national community organizations, trade groups, advocacy groups, and other Washington, D.C., stakeholders, who have an impact on TelevisaUnivision’s business operations.
- Develop creative government relations strategies to support TelevisaUnivision’s business interests and advocacy efforts on select issues (which include, but are not limited to, broadcast, media, streaming, data privacy, broadband access, competition) working closely with the EVP of Government Affairs and other senior leadership, as well as key external stakeholders, including trade associations and other industry partners.
- Manage internal personnel involved in government relations matters and a roster of outside consulting firms, providing clear direction on expectations and deliverables.
- Partner closely with internal stakeholders and business units whose work is relevant to policy issues.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key government officials, industry partners, and thought leaders in Washington, D.C.
- Provide leadership and oversight in initiating projects that will positively impact the company’s relationships with elected officials, regulators, policymakers, and national community groups.
- Develop and execute complex political and policy strategies.
- Consistently exercise independent judgment and discretion on matters of significance.
- Anticipate emerging federal, public or community/social issues of importance to the broadcast/media and technology industry and position the company effectively to handle such issues in all aspects.
- Demonstrate leadership skills, including ability to advance company interests in venues that require consensus building.
- Represent the company as a spokesperson, exhibiting stature and experience.
- Analyze and understand the business impact of proposed legislation and regulations.
- Plan and execute public affairs activities including virtual/in-person events involving public officials.
- Regular, consistent, and punctual attendance.
- 8+ years of relevant experience, be it in government, with a company or a combination thereof.
- Knowledge of communications/media/technology policy.
- Congressional experience in a key committee or work as senior legislative staff.
- Strong, pre-existing relationships with government officials and relevant third parties.
- Demonstrated experience developing and successfully advancing policy initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience and knowledge of the U.S. Hispanic and multicultural communities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Strong executive presence: ability to interact effectively at the highest levels of an organization and the savvy to communicate and synthesize complex issues clearly.
- Ability to gain the respect of, and build a rapport with, multiple constituencies, internally and externally.
- Excellent communication skills and public speaking ability.
- Demonstrated success in roles of increasing responsibility.
- Ability to work in fast-paced team environment and flexibility to accommodate demanding projects schedules.
TelevisaUnivision believes that a happy, well-balanced employee is what makes our culture thrive. We offer a wide selection of perks and benefits including PTO; tuition reimbursement; wellness and employee support programs; 401K; and life and other insurance plans. This is all in addition to our comprehensive and competitive health benefits package featuring medical, dental and vision coverage options.
Univision requires that all U.S. and Puerto Rico employees be vaccinated against COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to submit proof of vaccination. The Company is an equal opportunity employer, and will reasonably accommodate a qualified candidate, who may be unable to be vaccinated, consistent with federal, state, and local law.
Univision is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.