Senior Data Scientist
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
Are you excited by the opportunity to pioneer the future of travel? Do you want to redefine the way people plan, search for, and book their travel? At Expedia Group (EG), we believe that travel brings the world together, and we are passionate about endless possibilities. This role is an excellentopportunity to join the global Product Analytics and Experimentation team where we are user experience optimization obsessed! We power and deliver the use of industry-leading product analytics, user behavior, experimentation and visualization services and capabilities to enable highly tailored and optimized experiences that utilize scientific methods and applied insights.
We are looking for a highly motivated senior data scientist to join the Voice of the Customer (VoC) Analytics team. In this role, you will be the primary VoC partner for multiple product teams and product leaders. You will help them understand and quantify their customers’ experiences, define and measure product success, manage and deliver insight projects, mentor junior data scientists, and be an advocate for our customers. Good stakeholder management, the creative application of modern machine learning and natural language processing techniques, a structured approach to managing programs of work, and a growth mindset will be key enablers of success in achieving our mission of embedding our customers’ experiences in decision making across EG.
What you'll do:
- Manage stakeholders with frequent communication, expectation management, meeting deadlines and minimizing surprises
- Pick analytically valid approaches, appropriate in terms of level of effort, favoring iterative delivery that solves for the objective, not the ask (i.e. not just order-taking)
- Build complex business models for prioritization and action decision making
- Frame Expedia's most complex business problems as an analytics problem and a concrete set of analytical tasks
- Communicate team goals, progress and outputs within and across teams
- Communicate across various levels of the organization; able to influence partners and senior leaders with audience-appropriate messages and relevant information. This will also include contributing to the team culture by spreading enthusiasm and encouraging goodwill towards the department
- Understand functional metrics and approach new insights strategically, considering impacts to the wider business strategy.
- Recognize staff potential and guide employees in developing skills by recommending appropriate training and sources of information
- You will create anenvironment for team effectiveness, where strengths are known and built upon and learning is shared to build capacity
- Prioritize team morale and productivity, celebrating team accomplishments
- Promote collaboration among team members and encourage others to cooperate and coordinate efforts
- Have extensive experience of big data architecture (streaming events, data lakes, analytics engines) and relational database models as it relates to analytics
- Apply data visualization principles consistently resulting in clear and consistent outcomes
- Determine the ideal method for the problem considering underlying assumptions
- Apply fundamental machine learning models, algorithms and techniques using standard libraries to tackle business problems with some guidance
- Modify/adapt models and techniques to suit business needs
- Write code that is clean, maintainable, optimized and modular with good naming conventions
- Extract data from multiple data sources and combine them into the required datasets for model building or analytics
- Display advanced domain (i.e. travel, online retail) knowledge, business acumen (understanding the underlying business objectives) and critical reasoning skills
Who you are:
- Bachelor's, Master’s, PhD in Mathematics, Science, Statistics or a related technical field; or equivalent related professional experience
- A high performing and influential data science professional who consistently applies - and regularly enhances - the analytics capabilities, principles and playbooks to tackle the most complex business challenges and opportunities
- Provide deep analytical support and expertise to a number ofareas and mentors more junior colleagues
- Collaborate with senior management and partnered product, development and data science partners to deliver a portfolio of work and a high performing, well managed and talented team
- Possess significant experience in at least one major ML programming language (Python, Scala, etc.) and familiar with others
- Works on insights and decision making on at least 2 multi-quarter projects with significant strategic and financial impact for the organization
- Contributes to analytics and data science community through a blog, open source contribution, tech talks, etc
The total cash range for this position in Seattle is $161,500.00 to $226,000.00. Employees in this role have the potential to increase their pay up to $258,500.00, which is the top of the range, based on ongoing, demonstrated, and sustained performance in the role.Starting pay for this role will vary based on multiple factors, including location, available budget, and an individual’s knowledge, skills, and experience. Pay ranges may be modified in the future.
Expedia Group is proud to offer a wide range of benefits to support employees and their families, including medical/dental/vision, paid time off, and an Employee Assistance Program. To fuel each employee’s passion for travel, we offer a wellness & travel reimbursement, travel discounts, and an International Airlines Travel Agent (IATAN) membership.View our full list of benefits.
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.
Expedia iscommittedto creating an inclusive workenvironmentwith a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.