Senior Counsel, Commercial Energy Products
Tesla is looking for a Senior Counsel, Commercial (Energy Products), based in our Fremont, CA, Washington, D.C, or Austin, TX, offices to support the growth of our global business.
Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, Commercial, you will focus on commercial matters with an emphasis on our global residential, commercial and industrial and utility-scale solar and energy storage businesses.
Our ideal candidate would have a big-firm background in (energy-focused) project development, construction and finance deal work and be passionate about accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy.
This is a great opportunity for a pro-active and entrepreneurial lawyer to work at a fast growing and dynamic company.
- Provide advice on a wide variety of strategic, regulatory and transactional matters for the Energy Products business around the world, including commercial and consumer matters.
- Structure and negotiate Energy Products sales, service and project finance and development-related transactions including equipment supply, construction, maintenance, lease, power purchase, software services, performance guarantee and warranty and commodity procurement and sales agreements for solar, energy storage and solar + storage projects (both utility scale and behind-the-meter), support creative financing transactions related to the foregoing and the development of Tesla-owned generation and storage projects, and lead mergers & acquisitions transactions.
- Review and help prepare responses to requests for proposals and other competitive tenders.
- Advise on the sale, installation and maintenance of Powerwall, Powerpack, Megapack, Solar and Solar Roof, both direct to consumers and through channel partnerships, and support the business as it seeks to grow at scale around the world.
- Advise on new market entry and new product launches for the Energy Products business around the world.
- Support commercial transactions for the Supply Chain group on an as-needed basis.
- Liaise with colleagues in support of consistency of contracts and risk allocation across the global Commercial business.
- Mentor teammates to ramp knowledge and improve skills and transactional efficiency around the world.
- Excellent academic credentials, preferably with a J.D. from a top-ranked law school.
- A current license to practice in one or more US jurisdictions.
- A minimum of 8 years’ practice experience at a well-regarded law firm, with subsequent in-house experience at a company in the energy industry strongly preferred.
- Experience structuring and leading negotiation all components of complex, financeable transactions in the energy space, with a preference for renewable energy experience.
- A team player with the ability to proactively identify problems, drive projects forward, make complex cost/benefit assessments, and identify pragmatic/creative legal and business solutions.
- Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively and to juggle competing priorities in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- A quick and flexible learner, intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to quickly earn the confidence of your colleagues and effectively communicate with people at all levels of the organization.
- High standards, impeccable integrity and ethics, unquestionable good judgment, well-honed analytical skills, superior oral and written communications skills, and a keen sense of humor.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).