Senior Brand Strategist
New York, NY
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
The Senior Brand Strategist is an integrated marketer who translates The Washington Post’s clients’ business objectives and challenges into simple and clear proposals to work with The Washington Post.
Equal parts pragmatic strategist and free-thinking creative, the ideal candidate can transform cultural trends, industry realities, business tension points and audience insights into strategies and opportunities that are innovative, delightfully creative and most importantly, performative.
This role will report into the Head of Brand Strategy and is a senior member of the team that leads the pitch motion of the Washington Post’s advertising sales organization.
This role is based at either The Post’s headquarters in Washington, D.C or New York, NY working in a hybrid remote/onsite model.
- You are an expert at determining brand challenges and creating differentiated solutions that set The Post apart from competitors.
- You are competitive and take pride in your ability to understand what our clients need and translate that into solutions that win business
- You are adept at working with internal stakeholders with divergent goals across departments from ad sales, product, operations, product, editorial, research, and more.
- You exhibit a signature style and approach for creating proposals across a range of client challenges and brand categories
- You are inspired by the opportunity to realize the mission of a purpose-driven organization and to future-proof the business model that supports it.
- As a senior member, you are invested in the team and the growth of other individuals, in addition to your own.
- You are a quick thinker who can move multiple projects forward at once.
- You can balance proactive projects in addition to day-to-day proposal development.
- You are adept at identifying the need for and developing trainings, materials and/or processes that benefit an entire team.
- Leads the development of high-value, complex and strategically-led client proposals leveraging branded content, live events and newsroom collaborations and sponsorships.
- Architect creative frameworks and strategies that deliver differentiated and compelling solutions to client challenge
- Manage the contributions and contributors needed to deliver the most strategic pitches and proposals
- Work with agility and flexibility across multiple client proposals and opportunities
- Takes initiative on proactive projects outside of daily tasks and proposal work, particularly on things that will benefit the team as a whole
- 5+ years developing go-to market strategies with brands, media agencies, and/or news publications
- Possess a steady hand, competitive drive, and solutions-oriented mindset
- Expert at building trust and relationships across Brand Strategy and beyond
- Highly organized with strong verbal, written, and visual presentation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, and Dropbox, including PowerPoint and Google Slides
- Capable of distilling considerable amounts of information into easy-to-grasp key points
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and work in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
- Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
- Nine paid holidays and two personal days
- 20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
- Robust mental health resources
- Backup care and caregiver concierge services
- Gender affirming services
- Pet insurance
- Free Post digital subscription
- Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule, location, and collectively bargained status.
The Washington Post includes salary ranges for certain positions to comply with local pay transparency laws.
The salary range for this position is:
89,100.00 - 148,500.00 USD Annual
The actual salary within this range will depend on individual skills, experience, and qualifications as they relate to specific job requirements. This position may be eligible for a bonus or incentive program, and a member of the Talent Acquisition team will discuss bonus payment terms and conditions during the interview process.
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn’t end in the Newsroom – dozens of teams power The Washington Post. We are now hiring the next innovator – how will you Impact Tomorrow?