DOES THIS DESCRIBE YOU?
You have greatly enjoyed field biology work, and yet, also relish collaboration with other natural resources professionals and agency staff to solve challenging resource problems. Recently, you’ve been wanting to apply your senior-level skills to lead more projects, mentor other biologists, and provide key input in those problem-solving collaborations. You are team-oriented and highly motivated to guide a project through the regulatory compliance process, meet client objectives, and protect sensitive biological resources. Analytical thinking and writing quality are core skills. You believe strongly in the value of well-conceived, concise, and clearly written analysis, so that planners, regulators, and public agency officials have technically accurate, objective, and reliable information to support their decisions.
IN A TYPICAL WEEK AS AN ASCENT SENIOR BIOLOGIST, YOU MIGHT:
- DEVELOP strategies and lead surveys for biological resources to document existing conditions and to identify sensitive habitats or habitats for rare, threatened, or endangered species on a project site.
- GUIDE a staff biologist in preparation of a biological resource section for a CEQA document, evaluate potential environmental impacts and develop mitigation measures, and provide quality assurance reviews.
- ACTIVELY participate in a project initiation meeting with other environmental professionals for a complex, natural resources planning project that also affects multiple environmental resource areas.
- CREATE and implement a regulatory compliance strategy for biological resources that could be affected by a project, including CWA permitting, FGC Section 1602 Notification, ESA consultation, and CESA permitting.
- HELP prepare a scope of work and price estimate for new work to prepare a habitat management plan that includes ecological restoration design and monitoring.
- MANAGE your own work and that of your team to stay within an agreed time frame and budget to identify biological constraints to a project and to provide nimble, responsive service to your client.
- JOIN the survey team you direct at a project site just to keep getting out in the field now and then.
- SPEAK at a conference about the latest analytical approaches, project issues, or regulatory amendments.
- PRESENT an in-house training session about a current natural resource management topic or regulatory change.
- We are looking for a senior biologist to be a key member of Ascent’s Natural Resources practice; the location would be in our growing San Diego office.
- Excellent writing skills are important.
- Have a BS or MS in Biology, Ecology, or a related field
- A minimum of 5-8+ years of relevant experience.
- Required is extensive knowledge of California habitats and wildlife species and strong interpersonal skills.
Ascent offers a supportive, fun, and intellectually challenging work environment with excellent benefits. We invest in our employees’ careers and welfare and strive to provide high-quality outcomes for our clients. We offer flexible hours, collegial teamwork, participation in important and challenging projects, opportunities to contribute to and join in-service events for our local communities, and regular performance recognition.
Ascent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.