We're on a mission to help every family leave their legacy with a fast, easy, and secure way to create, manage, and distribute their estate plan online. Since 2017, we've helped hundreds of thousands of families plan for their future with a streamlined and intuitive approach that makes estate planning simple, affordable, and accessible. We're backed by leading names in venture capital including Jackson Square Ventures, Link Ventures, Revolution’s Rise of the Rest, AMEX, Northwestern Mutual, USAA, and more.
The Shared Services team within Trust & Will owns a mix of platform, data, and product problems. The team is responsible for designing, building, operating, and maintaining the common services that connect and enable our products. The team works directly with other engineers throughout the organization to understand common patterns and bottlenecks that can be optimized. T&W is looking to add a team member who loves solving complex problems at scale.
About the Role:
- Research, scope, and manage technical projects, laying a foundation for continuous product development and growth
- Design, build, expand, and maintain APIs, services, and databases that are consumed by other teams of developers
- Work with developers to build scalable and extensible solutions for our current and future products
- Act as a technical decision maker for our critical backend services to align our technical solutions with modern engineering best practices & organizational strategy
- Collaborate with other developers across the organization to determine when existing services should be utilized or extended, identifying tradeoffs in approaches
- Work with the team to develop both short and long-term roadmaps that align tightly with user, product, and business outcomes
- Produce highly testable, composable, and performant code that is as simple as possible.
- Coach, mentor and support other team members at all experience levels
- 5+ years of experience working on highly technical teams, building modern distributed backend services at scale ( NodeJS, ExpressJS, Typescript )
- Proven ability to design, build, and maintain systems with regard to automated testing, reliability, performance optimization, security, and observability
- Practical experience utilizing and designing multiple database solutions and knowledge about common use cases, tradeoffs, and optimization techniques ( MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB, Redis, etc. )
- Understanding of service communication ( networking protocols, HTTP/S, client-server relationship, messaging queues ( AWS SQS ), task runners, serverless compute, etc. )
- 3+ years experience with cloud computing ( AWS, GCP, or Azure )
- Experience building and maintaining highly available critical systems in production environments
- Work collaboratively and cross-functionally to drive the development of tools that provide user, product, and business impact with an emphasis on agile methodologies
- An appreciation for DRY, SOLID, and 12factor principles, SOA/DDD and an understanding of why each matters
- Solve problems autonomously. Should be able to identify, research, scope, build, and ship high-quality code independently
Bonus Points for:
- Working in a high-growth startup environment in the fintech space
- Comfortability performing large data migrations at scale, with zero downtime
- Comfort working in legacy systems, and experience in tackling backwards-compatible refactors
- Experience building monitoring dashboards for event-driven, distributed systems
- Working with a CloudOps team with a focus on infrastructure-as-code
Full-time Employee Benefits & Perks:
- Our salary range for this position is $132-202k, in addition to compensation we also include an employee equity package as a component of our offer along with other benefits and perks outlined below.
- Unlimited time off that you are encouraged to use
- Quarterly company-wide breaks (think Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall break)
- 1 PTO day a month to spend with friends, family, or however you choose
- 4 days/year to volunteer in your community
Health and Wellness Benefits
- Fantastic health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and generous parental leave
- Financial wellness benefits (Equity & tax advisory support, savings options, and employee-sponsored 401k)
- A informal mentorship program, guest speakers & reimbursement for learning opportunities
- Flexible work schedule + hours
- Family-friendly work environment. We support the complexity of a remote world with the needs of families
- Optional company-sponsored events and travel throughout the year
- $500 Work from home stipend + mac & Apple accessories
- Join an Inc. Magazine Best Workplace & Inc. 5000 winner!
We are a remote-first company, giving our employees the flexibility they need to work in an environment that best suits their needs. Our hiring process is also conducted virtually unless otherwise noted. We are a company that was founded in San Diego, CA, and offer a collaborative co-working space that is available for you to use if you'd like but not required.
We are proud to be a certified B Corporation, using business as a force for good. We are committed to building a healthy, sustainable, and engaging working environment for all employees, their families, and communities. We publish an annual impact report to outline our positive contributions to our world and set an example for all employers.
Trust & Will's mission is to help every family leave their legacy through affordable, accessible estate planning. That starts with the people we hire and the ways in which we support the development of their unique talents and capabilities. We are committed to prioritizing ways to make our company and industry more inclusive.
This means we must be revolutionary in the way we value diversity to revolutionize our business sector. At Trust & Will, everyone has a seat at the table and space to be their authentic selves because only in a company that is inclusive and diverse can we truly stand in our members' shoes.