Daily Harvest is looking for a Sustainability Senior Associate to join its Sustainability team within the Innovation + Operations department. The Innovation + Operations team operationalizes the Daily Harvest mission from conception to delivery. We ideate and bring our food to life. We source ingredients and build supply chains, we create sustainable packaging solutions, ensure food safety, and instill production capabilities that benefit our customers, our partners, and our planet. All of this is done to ensure on-time deliveries and a perfect experience for our customers.
The Sustainability Senior Associate will play a critical role in our maturing sustainability program, supporting its development and growth. We are looking for a mission-driven, sustainability expert who is interested in driving transformative food systems change through business, helping Daily Harvest address its social and environmental impacts across the company. This role will report to and collaborate closely with the Director of Sustainability in developing strategy and programs, supporting project management across teams, owning data collection and analysis, carrying out research, and developing communications, all that will help us achieve our sustainability goals.
The ideal candidate has a passion for environmental and social change, exceptional organizational skills and detail-orientedness, a start-up mindset, proactive problem solving skills, and is adept at working collaboratively and cross-functionally.
What you’ll do:
- Support the Director of Sustainability in developing and managing sustainability workstreams and progress towards our goals, primarily around GHG management, sustainable packaging, supply chain, diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), and regenerative agriculture programs
- Lead and support internal and external communications of sustainability values, initiatives, and science, including a team member engagement program
- Support sustainability initiatives with research and written recommendations to help inform a science-based approach
- Serve as key lead on operations sustainability reporting, including but not limited to collecting and managing cross-functional data on key sustainability metrics
- Support cross-functional project management of sustainability workstreams, including tracking progress and identifying areas for improvement
- Provide administrative and organizational support for sustainability programs including external partnerships and cross-functional workshops
- Work cross-functionally and with external partners/suppliers to provide data inputs into impact assessments (LCA, Corporate Footprint, etc) and the coordination and implementation of associated improvement projects
- Support Director in the on-going evolution and innovation of Daily Harvest’s sustainability strategy and vision, helping identify third party experts as needed
Who you are:
- An early career sustainability professional passionate about driving positive impact in the food system through business
- Someone with a strong understanding of sustainable, equitable food systems that consider social and environmental impacts
- Curious and passionate about learning, problem solving, and building systems
- Detail-oriented – You possess strong organizational skills and consistently demonstrate a methodical approach to all of your work, including an ability to project manage multiple work-streams across various stakeholders and functions
- Agile – You thrive in fast-paced and dynamic environments and are willing to get deep into the weeds where needed
- A strong written and oral communicator who can liaise sustainability initiatives and science among the Sustainability team and other departments, and support internal and external sustainability communications
- A self-starter and strategic thinker who can provide both administrative support and informed thought partnership to leadership within a nascent sustainability department
- An intuition for collaborative, multi-stakeholder approaches to working
- Minimum of 3+ years experience in corporate sustainability, sustainability consulting, and/or sustainable food and agriculture
- BA/BS degree in environmental studies, environmental management, sustainability, food systems, supply chain, or related discipline
- A strong understanding of and experience in sustainable food systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially in translating scientific information into accessible language for consumers
- Proven ability to carry out and synthesize academic, science-based research with an understanding of systems thinking
- Fluency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite applications
- Unlimited Daily Harvest in the office to keep you hustling, not hangry + cold brew (...always stocked)
- Flexible time-off policy + flexible working hours (Unlimited PTO Plan)
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, 401K + equity participation
- Ancillary benefits: Commuter, Gym membership + Citi Bike discounts
- Access to everything we make (including recipes in development)
- Annual company retreat
- Quarterly team outings, weekly onsite happy hours, + regular DH team gatherings to celebrate our co-workers
- Book club + running club
- Showers for post-morning or mid-workday workouts
- A dynamic, ambitious, and fun work environment + dog friendly!!
At Daily Harvest, our mission is to take care of food, so that food can take care of you. And it wouldn't be possible without our team. We celebrate the unique POV that each person brings to the table and believe in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, military or veteran status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. These are our guiding principles and apply across all aspects of employment.