Senior Associate Editor
Harvard Business Review Remote10d ago
Surfacing the most interesting, important, and relevant ideas from research in academia and elsewhere — and making them relevant to our audience of smart, skeptical business professionals — is an essential part of what makes HBR unique. If you’re an editor with a passion for research, we have an exciting opening on the HBR editorial team.
The Senior Associate Editor will be charged with helping to identify the most interesting, rigorous, and useful research on management, business, and society for coverage on HBR.org.
A successful candidate will build a diverse network of academic and practitioner contributors and actively identify new voices and ideas to add to the breath of our coverage. We cover a wide range of topics — from gender to strategy to organizational design to the global economy — so a healthy sense of curiosity is essential. You’ll have the chance to become one of our in-house experts on what makes a good piece of research and the best way to cover those ideas across our platforms.
Responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring a pipeline of research from academic journal articles, working papers, NBER papers, dissertation projects, consulting firm studies, and other sources and matching those topics with HBR’s standards for rigor and the needs and interests of our audience.
- Identifying important new academics and other big thinkers who should be publishing with HBR
- Commissioning articles and working with authors to make their writing accessible to a general management audience. This requires the ability to offer structural editing suggestions along with strong line editing skills.
- Vetting pitches from outside experts, including academics, consultants, and business leaders, and advising on which to develop and which to reject.
- Working with the editorial team to shape our coverage of research across platforms.
- Participating on podcasts, contributing to newsletters, and advising on audience-driven projects as needed.
- Showing a demonstrated passion for digital media and interest in contributing to HBR’s growth, both in reaching new audiences and in engaging our subscribers.
- Evaluating performance of articles and topics and advising on new content experiments.
- Working on a collaborative, collegial team across Harvard Business Publishing which believes in a shared culture of editorial excellence.
- At least five years of editorial experience, preferably with demonstrated interest or experience working with academic research or other forms of data.
- A proven ability to write and edit clean, accurate copy.
- An understanding of how to collaborate with outside contributors and/or freelancers and coach them to improve and refine their work, from line editing to structural development.
- An enthusiastic collaborator who knows the power of working on a strong, fun, positive team.
- Someone who will enjoy making HBR a great place to publish and a great place to work.