Senior Architectural Designer, Retail & Experiential
Glossier is a people-first beauty company on a mission to give everyone a voice through beauty. We create physical, digital, and offline experiences inspired by our community that foster connection, inspire a sense of belonging, and invite people to participate in Glossier. We are inclusive, customer-devoted, curious, courageous, discerning, and results-driven.
Our in-house Creative Team is responsible for a wide range of work. We take an inclusive, discerning, and above all personalized approach to Glossier’s retail and experiential projects, ensuring they reflect the values of Glossier and this role will be a key part of that.
We are looking for a Senior Architectural Designer, Retail & Experiential to join our Creative Team who has a passion for conceptual, bold design who enjoys working in highly collaborative environments, creating and leading impactful design concepts, and thinking way outside the box.
This individual will convey their ideas through 3D modeling, drawings, and renderings. They will work as part of the retail design team, collaborating closely with our cross-functional partners across the company. Through collective brainstorms, conceptual development, and expertise in architectural design, they will contribute to, lead, and support retail and experiential projects from conception to the final product, evolving and expanding ways in which Glossier exists IRL. This role will report directly to the Director of Retail Design.
Six Month Expectations
- Conceptualize, design, and execute retail and experiential projects through visual representation and documentation (mood boards, 3D & 2D design, drawing sets).
- Develop and spearhead projects through any/all stages both independently and collaboratively.
- Work closely with Retail Operations and Construction teams in tandem with external partners which include, but are not limited to, architects of record, engineers, lighting designers, vendors, and fabricators.
- Liaise between retail design and cross-functional teams to support and/or lead the design of multiple projects at once.
- Apply design thinking skills to a variety of scales, ensuring there is a through-line that connects projects holistically.
- Work alongside other members of the creative team to create a cohesive visual system that can evolve over time.
Twelve + Month Expectations
- Steer the growth and development of the Glossier Retail identity, using learnings and observations to inform and build upon.
- Represent retail design in cross-functional meetings, both internally and externally, to ensure projects align with company and team goals.
- Have a thorough understanding of budgetary constraints as related to projects, applying learnings to better estimate their feasibility.
- Ongoing attention and monitoring of current stores’ design systems and visual integrity.
- Develop close relationships with vendors, key partners, and internal cross functional teams.
- Self-starter with a willingness to roll up your sleeves and dive deep as needed. High attention to detail and focus on accuracy and accountability in a fast-paced environment
- 4+ years of professional experience at an architecture/design firm, or related profession.
- Mastery of Rhino 3D design software.
- Ability to create and put together schematic drawing sets, material schedules, and FF&E using Rhino.
- Willingness to experiment, push ideas, and work collaboratively to ensure the success of the project.
- Ability to jump on different tasks as they arise with a flexible and nimble approach.
- Proven ability to liaise between external partners (architects of record, millworkers, contractors, etc.).
- Experience using rendering software to visualize designs (Keyshot preferred).
- Advanced knowledge using Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator to convey design intent, produce diagrams and other visual elements as related to the design project.
- Desire for researching and sourcing interesting and innovative materials and fixtures.
- Basic understanding of graphic applications/design.
- Strong written and verbal skills to convey complex ideas and designs.
- Willing to share a portfolio of work
In accordance with the applicable law, the following represents a good faith estimate of the minimum and maximum compensation range for this position:
The estimated annual pay range for this role is $82,000 - $106,000. There may be future opportunities for continued pay progression based on continued strong performance in the role.Full-time positions are also eligible for a competitive compensation and benefits package that include medical health insurance, 401K, equity in the form of Restricted Stock Units,, Paid Time Off, Short Term and Long Term Disability leave, and a range of other benefits.
Compensation for the role will be determined based on permissible, non discriminatory factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, skills, and experience.
NOTE: Glossier requires all newly-hired employees whose job responsibilities require them to work from a Glossier office or retail location or require them to travel, work in person with vendors or others or participate in creative productions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Glossier is an equal opportunity employer and will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state or local law.
Glossier is a beauty company that lives in NYC, is sold on the internet, and promotes a skincare first philosophy that celebrates beauty in real life.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Glossier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.