Senior Analytics Software Engineer
The HartfordUnited States - Remote16 days ago
You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful work. You strive to make an impact every day & not only at work, but in your personal life and community too. If that sounds like you, then you've landed in the right place.
The Hartford is seeking an experienced Analytics Software Engineer, to join our Analytical Tools team. The candidate will be part of our growing Data Analytics community providing technical solutions to The Hartford’s Personal Lines division.
This role requires a combination of software engineering and data engineering skills with a focus on developing interactive analytical applications—data science, machine learning, simulation, actuarial—to support pricing, product, and marketing functions. You will be responsible for the full software development life cycle, including application development, testing, release, production monitoring, etc. You should have the ability to manage multiple priorities, including both planned and ad-hoc tasks, in a fast-paced environment.
Analytics Software Engineers are expected to closely engage with technical and business teams across Personal Lines. As a result, you will eventually need to learn certain data science practices, such as the deployment of predictive models, as well as basic pricing/actuarial concepts. This is an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to data science, machine learning, and big data. It’s also a great avenue for exploring the pricing and product side of personal automobile and homeowner insurance.
Location: Hartford (Connecticut) or Charlotte (North Carolina). Alternatively, option of 100% remote work available.
- Lead the development and maintenance of analytical applications, often with interactive web-based interfaces, using a variety of programming languages.
- Test/debug and peer review code developed by all members of the team.
- Support ad-hoc technical requests, e.g. coding and querying, from business partners.
- Extract data from various sources and build ETL pipelines for further analytical consumption.
- Perform exploratory data analysis to evaluate and rectify nulls, duplicates, inconsistencies and other issues with data.
- Provide extensive documentation—user playbook, architectural diagrams, training videos, etc.—for both end-users and peers.
- Obtain requirements and feedback from project stakeholders including data scientists, actuaries, pricing analysts, product managers, etc.
- Mentor junior-level peers.
- Work in both an independent and team-based manner.
Required Experience & Skills
- BS in a technical field such as Computer Science, Engineering, etc.
- Minimum 2+ years of full-time experience in software development/engineering.
- Strong knowledge of Python programming.
- Experience querying relational data stores using SQL.
- Well-versed in CI/CD practices: GitHub, Jenkins (or equivalent), automated testing, static code scanning, deployment, etc.
- Knowledge of Java programming.
- Ability to work in agile team setting using Scrum and Kanban-based formats.
Preferred Experience & Skills
- 4+ years of experience in software development/engineering.
- Knowledge of the R language is a major plus.
- Experience extracting from distributed data systems such as Hadoop, Spark, Hive, etc.
- Development of interactive web-based applications using visual frameworks—Dash, Bokeh, RShiny, React, Angular, etc.—is highly desired.
- Experience or interest in data science and machine learning practices, specifically the deployment of predictive models into production settings.
- Domain expertise in Property & Casualty Insurance, in particular pricing/ratemaking concepts and related terminology.
- Exposure to cloud-based computing environments such as AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.
- Experience with unit/integration testing frameworks. Bonus if you’ve worked in test-driven development environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age