Team: Advanced Concept Design
Scope: Individual Contributor
Years of Experience: 10+
COVID-19 Vaccinations: Patagonia requires all employees to demonstrate proof of receiving a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of their employment.
Product is the heart of the Patagonia brand. Building the best product in the most responsible way is central to our mission to Save Our Home Planet. Innovation, both from a performance standpoint and an environmental one, is key to our success.
Daring to challenge the norm and break free from product paradigms, this Senior Advanced Concept Designer is responsible for the identification, research, design, and construction of new and novel products, with a specific focus on Women’s apparel. The results will be field tested, proven and shared with the larger organization for implementation of said solutions in the current product line(s).
The projects will be compromised of all soft and hard goods made by metal, plastic, composite, and fabric. You will use academic and industry knowledge, hands on construction experience, supplier networks, publications, and on-going research to develop original, innovative design solutions that could benefit the Company’s product lines through enhanced performance, sustainability, intellectual property rights and licensing.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated passion for the craft of innovative, functional, beautiful design and an expressed interest and curiosity for the full ecosystem of Patagonia product and the diverse sport, outdoor, and activist communities we serve.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and build unique and resolved solutions through patterning and prototyping.
- Drive key initiatives to support the future of Patagonia with a focus on product circularity.
- Initiate new products and categories that open new market segments or transcends current segments.
- Take initiative in identifying problems and solving them using design methodology.
- Co-Lead style material development and strategy with Material Developers, Design Leads and Design Director.
- Partner with high level brand ambassadors/athletes on activity specific projects.
- Provide and receive design feedback with a strategic mindset, prioritizing needs of community & business.
- Attend and participate in product fittings and attend fittings of designers working on your area of focus.
- Keep Design Director/Lead Advanced Concept Designer(s) informed on material developments, product concept and storytelling.
- Build and maintain strong cross-functional partnerships with Inline Designers to create alignment and enrollment against concept initiatives.
- Product/trend research and presentations.
- Maintain current industry technology, product innovation, research literature and equipment knowledge through education and hands-on experience.
- Mentorship of more junior designers.
Who You Are:
- Environmentalist - Deeply passionate and committed to saving our home planet, especially through innovative design solutions.
- Experienced – Extensive background in innovative apparel & equipment design.
- Innovative - Proven skill at collaborating, problem-solving, and out of the box thinking.
- Resilient - Able to manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines. Ready to take on hard problems and see them through to the finish line.
- Adaptable – Exhibit flexibility and willingness to pivot as needed for the priorities of the business. Ability to interpret design intent and offer alternative solutions.
- Meticulous - Extreme attention to detail with strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentations.
- Self-reflective- Acknowledge own's experience and experiences of other. Adjusts behaviors for success in an inclusive workplace.
Experience You Bring:
- 7+ years of experience in outdoor and/or sports apparel development
- College Degree of Industrial Design or Mechanical Engineering. Masters preferred.
- Extensive familiarity with product performance requirements and an innate ability to create solutions leading to new performance paradigms.
- Experience using the tools and processes used to fabricate Patagonia products: sewing, adhesive lamination, RF welding, 3D printing, laser cutting and seam taping.
- Knowledge of garment construction, patterns and textiles required.
- Strong knowledge of production process and of machinery used in manufacturing of technical outdoor clothing and equipment.
- Understanding of factory assembly processes and procedures.
- Experience working with high level athletes on activity specific projects.
- Experience working specifically with Women’s Apparel Product/Categories.
- Working knowledge of personal computers with demonstrated experience in the use of such programs as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, 3D Platforms, Corel, Word, Excel, Outlook and 3D printing platforms like SolidWorks and Rhino.
- Comfortable with a team-based work structure and flexible to changes within the work environment and scope of responsibility.
- Comfortable communicating to the greater company when necessary for marketing and education purposes.
Pay range: $100,504 - $150,756 USD Annual
Hiring range: $130,000- $145,000 USD Annual
At Patagonia, pay ranges are assigned to a job based on the location specific market median of similar jobs according to 3rd party salary benchmark surveys. Individual pay within that range can vary for several reasons including skills/capabilities, experience, and available budget.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive, inclusive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Patagonia requires all employees who enter a Patagonia owned or operated facility or who physically interact with others as part of their job duties to demonstrate proof of receiving a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of their employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.