We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Accountant reporting to Supervisor, Fixed Assets & Lease Accounting. In a dynamic, fast paced environment, the successful candidate will be a key member accountable for delivering timely, accurate and relevant financial information to support financial, management and statutory reporting. You must have a desire/willingness to investigate and learn new skills/concepts/tools and be a self-starter. Please note this role will be supporting the Freedom Mobile portfolio.
A typical day
- Collaborate with business units to determine appropriate accounting treatment of contracts/agreements
- Review purchase requisitions to ensure cost is appropriately classified as capex vs. opex
- Collaborate with business units to assess whether Construction-in-Progress assets are “available for use”
- Maintain and reconcile Asset Retirement Obligation schedule
- Prepare various account reconciliations and analysis
- Involve in various processes including asset disposals, assessment of useful life, internal labour capitalization
- Collaborate with business units to determine whether contractual arrangements are leases or contain leases
- Review amendments/modifications on existing leases to ensure appropriate accounting under IFRS 16
- Validate lease details are accurately reflected in the Co-Star Real Estate Management tool to facilitate appropriate accounting
Maintain and reconcile lease amortization schedules and IFRS 16 related accounts
- Preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year-end journal entries, schedules, reconciliations, reporting and analysis
- Look for opportunity for continuous improvement of activities and processes
- Ad hoc reporting and analysis, special projects as required
- A designated CPA with a minimum of 8 years relevant work experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will also be considered
- Demonstrated understanding of IAS 16 – PPE, IAS 38 – IA, and IFRS 16-Leases
- Proficiency with Excel (e.g., pivot tables, simple macros, and ability to analyze large data sets)
- Experience with CoStar Real Estate Management and Oracle ERP is an asset
- Thrives in a collaborative team focused environment, adaptive and enthusiastic about change and continuous improvement
- Detail oriented with high standards of excellence and an enthusiastic self-starter with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills at all organizational levels
- This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
- The successful candidate will be based and hired at our Freedom location in Toronto
Posting closing date:
December 9, 2022
At Shaw, we believe diversity and inclusion are integral to the continued growth and success of our entire company. We believe diversity and inclusion enhances our Company’s culture and creates a sense of belonging where people feel comfortable bringing their true selves to work. This in turn promotes innovation through harnessing the variety of experiences, thoughts, and perspectives our employees have to offer. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of race, gender, age, or any other identifying characteristic.
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.