Section Manager, Environmental Studies
Burns & McDonnell is seeking a Section Manager for its Environmental Services Global Practice to manage and lead staff within its Environmental Studies department at the Kansas City Office.
This includes supporting and executing business strategy, developing high performance teams, and promoting the Burns & McDonnell culture, values, and mission. The Section Manager will lead the section in a dynamic and profitable manner based on Burns & McDonnell's core values of client satisfaction, commitment, dedication, integrity, safety, and overall outstanding service.
Burns & McDonnell is a 100% employee-owned firm ranked numerous times on the FORTUNE's List of 100 Best Companies to Work For and voted as a Best Place to Work in cities across the United States.
- Providing leadership to the team; direct and coordinate work assignments and review performance to ensure the efficient, cost-effective utilization of staff.
- Profitable growth of the section; ensuring staff levels, staff loading, and staff assignments meet project requirements while maintaining billable goals.
- Implementing, applying and supporting company, global practice and/or regional office programs and initiatives; successfully navigating and managing change within the section.
- Providing expert level technical guidance, mentoring and support.
- Apply creative solutions to local, state, and federal permitting
- Advise clients of appropriate strategies to obtain permits and maintain compliance with regulations and permit conditions
- Publication of technical papers and delivering presentations at conferences
- Achieving stated targets and standards for financial performance.
- Preparing and presenting workload and monthly financial reports to global practice or regional management and applicable project managers.
- Recruitment, development, training, and retention of staff.
- Conducting performance evaluation for assigned section staff.
- Providing leadership, guidance, and instruction to the section staff.
- Support or lead portions of department meetings and section meetings.
- Perform project management responsibilities for studies and projects. Assisting staff with project setup, coordinating with the client/team, handling billing/invoicing, change orders, project closeout, etc
- Interpreting and communicating policies, purposes, and goals of the organization to staff.
- Collaborating with business development managers, business line leads, project managers, and proposal production staff on proposals to secure work for staff.
- Overall QA/QC process adherence.
- Ensuring compliance with company and site safety policies.
- Diversity initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management or related degree from accredited program and 5 years of applicable experience (9 years preferred).
- Experience in multiple market sectors is a plus with an emphasis on electric utility, renewable, and oil & gas facility markets.
- The preferred applicant will also possess knowledge of regulations and permitting requirements for wetlands, threatened and endangered species, stormwater and erosion & sediment control, cultural resources and architectural history, and the National Environmental Policy Act. Technical expertise in one or more of these fields required.
- Experience with environmental permitting in other states throughout the Midwest is also desired.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, demanding work environment, ability to work overtime on short notice,
- High proficiency using Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others (Owner's, Contractors, Project Managers, Engineers and Designers) in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.