Safety Health & Environmental (SHE) Specialist
As the site Safety Health & Environmental Specialist you are responsible for coordinating and executing safety, health and environmental programs. In this position you will interact with employees to ensure a culture of caring and where each employee is accountable and responsible for Safety, Health & Environmental conditions and behaviors. As the SH&E Specialist you ensure compliance with regulations and company policies, routinely interact with employees on the site floor, balance sophisticated assignments involving performance of daily audits/inspections, and assist the site in maintaining ISO 140001 and OHSAS 18001 certifications and daily implementation of those systems.
In addition to overall input to Site safety, health and environmental initiatives, strategies, programs and procedures, responsibilities include via hands on counsel, supervision, assessment and implementation of :
- Champions and develops a culture where safety, health and environment are ingrained as a core value with all employees, everyone believes zero is achievable, everyone is actively engaged in performing their work in a safe manner, everyone actively interacts with co-workers to prevent at-risk behaviors.
- Actively participates on the Facility SH&E Team and other assigned teams. Effectively coaches and develops operations line supervision to be effective SH&E coaches in their respective positions.
- Analyze SH&E conditions and behaviors and recommends changes to continuously improve Site SH&E performance to world class levels.
- Primarily responsible for implementing systems, procedures, and work practices to ensure “audit ready” state of compliance.
- Develop and implement processes and procedures (SOP's) to ensure Site compliance with company and regulatory agency policies, including federal, state and local legislation and regulations pertaining to SH&E.
- Reviews, analyzes, critiques and/or approves engineering design development reports, plans and specifications for compliance with environmental laws and regulations.
- Partners with Facility PSM/RMP coordinator to ensure compliance with PSM and RMP requirement where applicable.
- Drives implementation of SH&E best in class programs, systems and processes, including training and coaching to establish clear procedures on SH&E measures and precautions.
- Drives key effective, sustainable implementation Corporate, Division and Site SH&E initiatives, strategies, programs and procedures, responsibilities via hands on leadership, coaching and team work.
- Manage Worker’s Compensation in partnership with Risk Management. Understand the safety risks associated with jobs, Site wide. Understand the aspects of the Site that impact the environment, and optimizes them.
- Ensures thorough investigation of all incidents, in coordination with Safety and Health Site leadership. Provide expertise and participate to all SH&E incident investigations as conducted by Site Leadership.
- Coordinate/facilitate all environmental training for Site (Hazmat, Waste Treatment, SPCC/SWPP, etc.). Administer training programs for safety accident prevention and protection, and may support environmental management systems.
- Drive excellence through active participation on the production floor to adopt a - ZERO TOLERANCE MENTALITY- toward SH&E losses and drive elimination of losses through the framework of ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 and NCE.
- Provides SH&E functional and technical expertise/mentorship as needed in all areas and initiatives of the function. Partners with other key functions on initiatives including engineering, HR, Quality, Operations, NCE, etc to deliver on goals and plans.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in environmental and/or safety subject area or related fields or international equivalents.
- 1-5 years experience in successfully coordinating Safety, Health, and Environmental sustainability activities in a manufacturing setting.
- Experience with OSHA, DOT and EPA regulations and local equivalents and their application to Site operations.
- Professional certifications in SH&E related fields are considered beneficial and may include CIH, NEBOSH Certificate, ASP, AEM, etc
- Strong analytical, organizational, communication and digital literacy required.
- Excellent interpersonal interactions.
- Ability to build teams throughout all levels and functions of the Site with respect, tact and impactful outcomes.
- Decision-making; must be capable of making well-informed decisions in both routine and emergency situations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required along with the ability able to relate with audiences that have a broad range of background and understanding.
- Training & presentation skills.
- Must demonstrate good insight and ability to develop mutual solutions to challenges.
- Able to work and lead in a team setting; live the Nestlé Leadership Principles and bring it to life for others.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize.
- Ability to quickly learn Site relevant federal and state OSHA, EPA, DOT requirements.
- Technical writing skills (policies, procedures, reference manuals, and training materials)
- Digital literacy (Microsoft Office/Windows based)
- Reading and comprehension skills/legal & regulatory interpretation
- Initiative to lead continuous improvement efforts.
It is our business imperative to remain a very inclusive workplace.
To our veterans and separated service members, you're at the forefront of our minds as we recruit top talent to join Nestlé. The skills you've gained while serving our country, such as flexibility, agility, and leadership, are much like the skills that will make you successful in this role. In addition, with our commitment to an inclusive work environment, we recognize the exceptional engagement and innovation displayed by individuals with disabilities. Nestlé seeks such skilled and qualified individuals to share our mission where you’ll join a cohort of others who have chosen to call Nestlé home.
The Nestlé Companies are an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer seeking diversity in qualified applicants for employment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, gender, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, perceived disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status, as defined by applicable law. Prior to the next step in the recruiting process, we welcome you to inform us confidentially if you may require any special accommodations in order to participate fully in our recruitment experience. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or please dial 711 and provide this number to the operator: 1-800-321-6467.
This position is not eligible for Visa Sponsorship.