Route Sales Specialist
Have you ever enjoyed Arnold®, Brownberry® or Oroweat® bread? A Thomas’® English muffin or bagel? Or perhaps snacked on a Sara Lee®, Entenmann’s® or Marinela® cake or donut? If the answer is yes, then you know Bimbo Bakeries USA!
Bimbo Bakeries USA is part of Grupo Bimbo, the world’s largest baking company with operations in 33 countries. Bimbo Bakeries USA (BBU) employs 20,000 associates across the U.S. in bakeries, sales centers, corporate offices and on sales routes to ensure our consumers have the freshest products to feed their families at every meal. But our associates come to work for much more – the chance to feed their own lives through exciting work that offers the opportunity to make a real difference in their professional and personal lives every day.
The Route Sales Specialist represents Bimbo Bakeries USA and its brands in the market, merchandising, selling, and delivering fresh baked products to retail customers, restaurants, and institutions. Through world class market execution, the Route Sales Professional’s primary focus is to maximize sales to customers through strong customer relationships, good business practices that drive profitable sales growth, and provide sales-related service that exceeds the customer’s expectations.
Top Reasons to Work at Bimbo Bakeries USA:
- Great starting pay: $ Base pay + commission, paid on a weekly basis!
- Union position!
- Excellent benefits package!
- Growing organization & increased demand for products!
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Lives and promotes the company’s safety beliefs and principles, ensuring safe work practices are being followed by all and working to eliminate unsafe conditions to drive the achievement of the safety goal of zero incidents.
- Lives and promotes the Beliefs of the Company, including respect for people, continuous improvement, exceeding customer and consumer expectations as well as working to meet the company’s strategic and financial goals.
- Services customers in accordance with established service frequency patterns. Establishes and maintains positive customer relationships with primary contact for each account
- In accordance with Direct Store Delivery Excellence (DSDE) playbook, executes world-class merchandising, stocking, and proper ongoing rotation of product on store shelves and displays, ensuring best quality and freshness of products and ensuring store sales targets are achieved
- Utilizes Bimbo Bakeries’ order management program, promotional and holiday planning information to make independent ordering decisions and ensure optimal orders are being placed using a handheld device.
- Drives sales through the acquisition of new display space, incremental displays and through using sales data to establish other store-level plans that will grow profitable sales
- Introduces new products and services to maximize sales and shelf space within existing accounts and when soliciting new customers
- Follows up on new account opportunities and builds effective customer relationships by properly setting and exceeding expectations, including ensuring displays and shelves are set in accordance with agreed upon guidelines and ensuring promotions are seamlessly executed
- Conducts daily route settlement procedures to account for all products, invoices, and cash
- Takes and maintains proper inventory counts
- Drives company route truck safely; safely loads and unloads the truck
- Correctly completes DOT (US Department of Transportation) logs daily and submits other documentation, paperwork, and deposits on time
- Other duties as assigned
- The foregoing list of duties is intended to generally illustrate the types of duties a Route Sales Professional may perform. The actual duties performed by each Route Sales Professional, and the amount of time spent on each duty, varies from day to day and from route to route. Duties and the time devoted depend on, among other things, the Route Sales Professional’s customers, experience, and skills.
Key Behavioral Competencies:
- Strong sales aptitude and willing to continuously learn and develop new skills
- Customer and consumer-focused mindset with ability to build beneficial, win/win partnerships
- Drives results
- Ability to adapt and open to change
- Ability to work independently, analyze situations accurately, make decisions independently, and take effective action
- Organized and able to manage work effectively
- Excellent customer service
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Perform all tasks with a strong safety mindset; alert to potential safety issues and ability to create safe conditions
Education and Work History:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
Ideal candidate will possess:
- 1-3 years of related experience in DSD (Direct Sales Distribution)
- A combination of training and experience that results in demonstrated competency to perform the work may be substituted
- Demonstrated passion to achieve results and work well with others
- Strong motivation to build customer relationships and achieve Route Sales Professional and company goals
- Account management skills are a plus
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- A valid driver’s license is required
- Must be able to obtain and retain a commercial driver’s license
- Must be able to obtain and retain a DOT medical card
- Computer skills and proficiency are required
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and internal partners
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions
- Must be able to lift 25-50 pounds on a regular basis, as well as routinely enter and exit a delivery vehicle
- Must be able to climb, push/pull, bend, stoop, and kneel for extended periods as well as perform frequent reaching and use of fingers
Be a part of a company that is dedicated to protecting our planet:
- All of our U.S. operations have been powered with 100% renewable electric energy since July 2019, with energy created through a Wind Farm backed by a Virtual Power Purchase Agreement with Invenergy
- Bimbo Bakeries USA was named EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for the fourth year in a row for superior leadership, innovation and commitment to environmental protection through energy efficiency
- We have 18 ENERGY STAR® Certified facilities
- Our Manufacturing operations divert greater than 95% of waste from landfill
- Over 1500 of our vehicles utilize alternative fuel – propane, compressed natural gas, electric, or hybrid
- Bimbo Bakeries USA has committed to 100% sustainable packaging across its portfolio by 2025. All product bags, pouches and wrappers are currently recyclable through Terracycle.
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be requested to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bimbo Bakeries USA is an equal opportunity employer with a policy that provides equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, disability, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, reassignment, layoff, discharge, education, training and all other working conditions. To further the principle of equal employment opportunity, Bimbo Bakeries USA has developed affirmative action plans for minorities and women, qualified individuals with disabilities, and Vietnam-era and special disabled veterans and other protected veterans.