Retail Store Manager
Cotopaxi is a carbon neutral certified B Corporation that creates sustainably made outdoor gear designed to fight extreme poverty, inspire adventure, and move people to Do Good. Our Gear for GoodⓇ promise is to make gear that lasts and to have a positive social, environmental, and economic impact. By 2025, we’re committed to using repurposed, recycled, or responsible materials in all of our gear. We also allocate at least 1% of our annual revenue to the Cotopaxi Foundation, which awards grants to nonprofit partners with proven track records of alleviating poverty. Through our Foundation to date, we have reached an estimated 3.5 million individuals living in extreme poverty.
Cotopaxi is a company that values people, innovation, and adventure and our work environment reflects just that. Whether you are working from one of our retail stores, our headquarters, your couch at home, or even your van in the woods, you’ll feel the camaraderie of our amazing team of visionaries, builders and go-getters. We are a team of adventurous, mission-driven people looking to prove that business CAN be a force for good.
What You’ll Do (Job Overview):
This position is an incredible opportunity for a leader looking to learn, grow and advance with a fast-growing, mission-driven organization. Whether you're a Store Manager looking for a new opportunity to make an impact or an Assistant Manager looking for their next career step, this is a chance to connect, collaborate and lead an incredible team to deliver an amazing experience for everyone who steps foot in our store
Our Store Manager values both internal and external relationships and they/she/he knows how to foster an environment that welcomes people from all backgrounds no matter what their connection and experience is with the outdoors. At our brick & mortar stores, profit is a byproduct of good conversation. We look to inspire others and have a vision for a world in which business positively impacts society, community, and environment.
Our ideal Store Manager will positively impact the local market and continue to make this location thrive. Your day-to-day is guided by the needs of your team and the business. Whether you are creating campfire connections with our customers, coaching your guides, or managing the store P&L (profit and loss), the success of this location starts with you. Not only are you savvy in retail operations and have a knack for sales, you are an approachable leader who thrives in a people-first culture. Most importantly, you can guide our retail team through the embodiment of Cotopaxi’s values, leveraging your desire to inspire others and be a part of the Boulder community!
How You’ll Do It (Job Responsibilities):
We Do Retail Differently:
- We look to create a customer first culture. We support every customer through their personal journey in the store with intention. We create deeper connections and make impactful moments that humanize the retail experience.
- Community drives us and we want to be a part of the area we reside in. We aspire to be a lifeline and resource!
- We value character and camaraderie. We not only strive to build deeper connections with our customers, but also within our team sharing each other's stories and passions in and out of the store!
- Finding work-life balance for you, we offer unlimited Responsible PTO for Retail Store Managers.
The Experiences We Look to Create:
- Lead your Guides by example in making memorable experiences for every customer.
- Support the development of your Guides through encouragement, training, and productive feedback.
- Be the in-house expert on Cotopaxi products and initiatives, and share that knowledge with your Guides.
- Have a strong floor presence - create a customer first culture by fostering a fun, engaging environment for everyone.
- Oversee employment-related matters in accordance with company policies and applicable federal, state, local laws.
- Be a lifeline for your team. Address and resolve Guides’ concerns fairly and promptly.
- Conduct meaningful performance reviews for each Guide.
- Live and inspire the Cotopaxi culture and values of people, impact and adventure.
- Collaborate with the community engagement team on in-store and local events.
- Be an ambassador of the Cotopaxi brand throughout your community by getting involved.
Operations and Expectations:
- Develop and celebrate your team! Empower your Guides through training and encouragement.
- Flexibility and empathy. Have the ability to work a variety of retail hours and cover shifts for your team when needed.
- Share the load. Prioritize the store’s needs by delegating fairly and appropriately between yourself and your Guides.
- Grow the herd! Collaborate with the Recruiting Coordinator to help discover and hire new Guides.
- Collaboration is key. You partner with the Regional Sales Manager to ensure operational and brand goals are being met as well as share new ideas for improvements and growth for your store and retail channel as a whole.
- Keep the store stocked. Manage inventory levels, ordering and receiving.
- Be creative! Partner with the Visual Merchandising Manager to execute new directions and maintain an inviting customer journey through the store.
- Be deeply committed to creating a supportive and positive work environment for Guides and customers!
Experiences to Highlight (What You Need to Succeed):
- Our retail channel is growing and evolving, so you’ll be evolving with it, which is why we like to see candidates who show a strong capacity for collaboration, creative-thinking, and adaptability.
- You bring 2+ years of experience leading a retail team as an Assistant Store Manager or above.
- An eye for detail. You're organized and someone who thrives in a start-up minded company.
- You are a leader. You know how to motivate a team and can be a lifeline for others!
- Team dynamics excite you! You understand the need for a diverse team and that each member brings a unique experience to the table.
- An understanding of financial principles such as how expenses affect profitability.
- Humanitarian at heart - we support your personal passions in and out of the workplace, always encouraging community engagement and volunteer efforts!
The Perks (Job Benefits):
We deeply care about our employees and are proud of our commitment and investment in our team. We prioritize wages and benefits and always keep the employee experience in mind as we work to create a quality work-life balance for everyone.
The salary range for this position is $65,000-70,000/year plus annual bonus potential and will be based on the experience that you bring to the table.
Here is a snapshot of the benefits we provide:
- Medical, dental and vision benefits.
- Company paid basic life insurance.
- Company paid short-term disability coverage.
- Company paid life assistance program, with the election of medical coverage.
- Company paid mental health benefits.
- Company paid volunteer time.
- 401(k) plan with employer match.
- Unlimited responsible PTO.
- In The Wild Time: Dedicated paid time out of your work week to spend outdoors.
- 60% off Cotopaxi products.
- Additional outdoor/adventure/lifestyle brand discounts.
- $1,000 stipend after 18 months for bucket list adventure.
- $5,000 stipend after 5 years for bucket list adventure.
- Annual company-wide outings and regular virtual/in-person celebrations.
- A fun, people-first company culture!
As a mission-driven brand, Cotopaxi is not only hyper aware of but also deeply invested in putting people first and paving the way as a humanitarian brand. We welcome, embrace and celebrate all people regardless of gender, age, race, disability, nationality, ethnicity, faith, or sexual orientation. We believe in Doing Good, and how we’re involved with that has no limits.
No matter what experience you have within the outdoor industry we encourage you to apply. At Cotopaxi we believe that experience comes from a variety of places. We look for individuals who thrive on challenges, are passionate about doing good, and believe that collaboration and radical candor are necessary for success. Show us how your experiences have shaped you and how you can contribute to Cotopaxi in our mission to Do Good. We can’t wait for you to share with us your personal story!