Scope: People Manager, M1
Compensation: $30 - $34
Patagonia requires all employees who enter a Patagonia owned or operated facility or who physically interact with others as part of their job duties to demonstrate proof of receiving a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of their employment.
Patagonia provides employees with a robust benefits package (unique to each role) that may include environmental internships, free health insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, an alternative commute reimbursement program, leaves of absence, employee discounts, complimentary product, 401k match and much more.
We’re in business to save our home planet.
We’re in business to save our home planet, and you’re developing the future of business leadership. In support of the Store General Manager, you recruit, coordinate, motivate and lead a team in one of Patagonia’s retail stores. You operate a well-tuned machine, plan and schedule to meet financial targets and maintain your store as a hub for environmental activism, sport and positive vibes. By developing your Retail Team Leaders, you ensure that our customer service experience is consistent, warm, aligned with Patagonia’s core values and best-in-class. You act as an ambassador for Patagonia in your store and community and have goals to expand your leadership.
Build the Best Product
In retail, our best product is the world-class service we offer our customers. We create amazing and memorable experiences that leave our customers feeling stoked.
Cause No Unnecessary Harm
Our stores are intended to be gifts to the community. We renovate old buildings into storefronts using low-impact practices and materials. In addition, our retail stores, working with our Worn Wear program, extend the life of customers’ old gear by repairing, reselling or recycling it.
Use Business to Protect Nature
Our stores serve their communities. We strive for deep connections to the people, places, and issues that are relevant there. We are vocal activists for protecting outdoor spaces. Our stores support local environmental groups with grants, donations, volunteers, advocacy, and events that provide a platform to share and engage in activism.
Not Bound by Convention
Retail changes every day. We welcome and embrace change as it inspires us to create new ways to serve our customers. Every retail employee is empowered to make autonomous decisions in line with our mission and values.
YOU ARE AN ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIVIST
- By hosting events, using social media and marketing tools, and elevating campaigns, you connect your community to important environmental and social issues.
- You engage, elevate and partner with grassroots nonprofit organizations through retail grants and other partnerships, including events, product donations and activism activities.
- You operate an environmentally responsible business by recycling, conserving energy and using alternative modes of transportation.
- You encourage staff conversation, innovation and education about environmental issues.
YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT BOUND BY CONVENTION
- You spend significant time on the sales floor and lead by example.
- You instill in your employees the importance of customer service and that the retail experience is where the brand comes to life.
- You train and empower Team Leaders to make decisions and coach staff based on Patagonia’s values, use their best judgment and act generously in all customer service matters.
- You foster a seamless customer experience by making every effort to find merchandise across Patagonia’s sales channels if an item is not in stock in your store.
YOU ARE BUSINESS-MINDED
- In conjunction with your Store General Manager, you strategize to meet expense and profit goals for the store.
- You have a keen eye for the look and feel of your store and know that powerful visual merchandising, good habits, store cleanliness and maintenance all support a strong business.
YOU DEVELOP LEADERSHIP
- You recruit and hire people who are passionate about the planet.
- You hire with a focus on diversity and include staff who represent the community where your store is located.
- You coach your Team Leaders on their communication and ownership skills, support a steady feedback loop and work to develop your Assistant Store Manager successor.
- You are an accessible, transparent and supportive leader, and you act as an entrepreneur for your store using Patagonia’s mission and core values as your compass.
- Your staff never have to guess how they’re doing since you provide ongoing feedback, coaching, training and acknowledgment.
YOU CREATE A SAFE STORE ENVIRONMENT
- You maintain a safe and secure environment for your team and customers, and resolve any concerns quickly with the Store General Manager.
- You are deeply committed to creating a working environment that is supportive, positive, respectful and free from harassment.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We want candidates with proven service experience who thrive in a team-based atmosphere. We’re seeking people who are passionate about their communities, the environment and caring for others. We need people who appreciate our core sports. Folks who deal well with ambiguity, learn on the fly, demonstrate sound judgment and solve problems creatively are most successful with us. We’re looking for someone who builds and maintains relationships with ease and desires to put the customer at the center of everything they do.
- Experience managing a team of people and a passion for growing and developing employees.
- Demonstrates highly developed emotional intelligence.
- Ability to make sound judgment calls in the absence of the General Manager.
- Flexible amidst competing priorities and adaptable to the fast-paced environment of a retail store while rallying the team with positivity.
- Interest and aptitude for strategic business planning that responds to a specific community.
- Able to stand/walk for extended periods of time.
- Continually able to reach overhead, bend, squat, kneel and carry products necessary for customer service, inventory stocking and store merchandising.
- Continually able to walk up and down a staircase carrying boxes, products and other necessary items.
- Able to regularly perform store maintenance: sweep, vacuum, empty trash, clean.
- Able to safely lift boxes up to 55 pounds.
- Comfortable climbing ladders.
Our stores are open seven days a week. You must be available to work a minimum of one weekend day, one opening shift and one closing shift per week. You must report to work on time or provide notification in advance if absent or late.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.