Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in interior design or related field from an accredited institution.
Experience: Previous internship or experience with a professional design firm or design-retail organization. Minimum two (2) years’ experience in retail sales preferred.
Other Requirements: Strong sales & organizational skills. Ability to work with others. Positive attitude, stylish professional appearance, and high energy with a desire to learn the business. Position requires a valid driver’s license, except in limited circumstances in which the associate can establish to the Company’s satisfaction that they have available for use during all business hours an alternate means of transportation not requiring the operation of a motor vehicle which will enable them to perform the duties of their position.
Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays listed on the incentive plan.
The Design Coordinator role is intended to be a 3-6 month assignment to prepare the associate for a Design Consultant position. Retail management will evaluate the Design Coordinator’s performance to determine if the Design Coordinator has been successful as a Design Coordinator and should be promoted into the Design Consultant role.
During this 3-6 month assignment, the Design Coordinator will provide sales and service to customers, including limited design service under the direction of retail management or a Design Consultant, meeting monthly sales goals. Responsibilities include educating customers about our design service, introducing them to a Design Consultant, as well as assisting Design Consultant(s) with tasks necessary to drive business.
- When a Design Consultant is unavailable, professionally greet customers to establish rapport, offer assistance including limited design-related consultation and sales transactions such as take-with and direct ship accent sales, including wrapping and packaging client purchases, as well as limited furniture sales under the direction of unit management.
- Assist Design Consultants (as assigned by management) with project development, including attending home calls, preparing space plans, product selection, preparing quotes, creating sketches and renderings, setting up and dismantling presentations, preparing custom soft goods quotes, offering assistance and hospitality during presentations, and assisting clients when their requested Design Consultant is unavailable.
- Educate customers about the complimentary design service Ethan Allen provides, offering as little or as much design service as a customer desires.
- Stay current on design and color trends to create fashionable design solutions.
- Utilizing the rotation system, introduce qualified prospects to Design Consultants via in-person introduction or “set up” by describing DC’s skills and referring customer to their online bio/portfolio; or by scheduling in-studio appointments and/or in-home consultations for Design Consultants (whether DC is present or not)
- Enter orders and quotes utilizing the retail point of sale system.
- Communicate with clients regarding appointments and order status via telephone & email.
- Participate as required in all corporate sponsored marketing and training programs.
- Educate customers on all the Ethan Allen sponsored finance options available to them.
- Utilize corporate systems and technology to maximize efficiency in designing projects, creating presentations, and providing professional service for customers.
- Operate the information desk including answering phones, providing customer service, and managing rotation system.
- Provide support to visual merchandiser in replenishing stock to the floor as well as receiving inventory to the design center. Bar-coding and tagging as needed.
- Assist in daily maintenance of floor displays. Work cooperatively in maintaining a neat and orderly Design Center projection.
- Assist Design Consultants with clerical needs. Maintain up-to-date files, filing, updating price page or follow-up correspondence.
- Provide exceptional service to customers, before and after the sale, by promptly keeping customers informed of their order status including any delays.
- Update master and design center price pages and product books and samples.
- Order memo fabric swatches for design consultant’s clients and distribute to Design Consultants when they arrive.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Must work overtime hours as needed.
Additional Responsibilities that may be required depending on location:
- Ensure all cash transactions, including charge cards and bank deposits, are reconciled, properly deposited, and accurately recorded in the ledger. Process blind cash balancing and exceptions. Maintain Petty Cash. Perform clerical duties required for daily function of business. Run end of day reports, checks for signatures and other audit requirements.
- Follow-up on clerical orders, delayed orders as necessary to insure timely and appropriate service to staff members and clients.
- Perform cancelations, and merchandise returns, and any other duties as required.
- Follow-up service, etc. between the service center and the design center staff.
- Review and control open order reports and workroom logs. Communicate to design teams as needed.
- Manage incoming communication from customers. Research and resolve customer inquiries in accordance with company guidelines. Monitor customer problems and identify recurring issues and trends.
- Handle incoming customer service request and forward information to Customer Service Department and identify unrecorded delivered sales and implement procedures to prevent future Occurrences.
- Identify custom orders of soft goods and non-EA product, forward copies to an OA for processing.