Public Relations Intern
The Hawaii Energy program is administered by Leidos under a contract with the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission.
The Hawaii Energy program seeks an enthusiastic Public Relations (PR) Intern to support our Marketing & Communications team during the 2022-2023 school year. In this internship, you will play an integral role in supporting Hawaii Energy’s mission by encouraging participation in our programs and increasing community understanding of energy efficiency and conservation actions. This role offers a unique, hands-on opportunity to gain exposure to the public relations field, working with the news media, and Hawaii’s fast-growing energy industry. It will also involve working heavily with other team members and outside agencies, including a local PR firm, with the goal of raising awareness of Hawai‘i Energy’s offers and services.
This position is ideal if you enjoy writing, are interested in how the news media works, are detail-oriented, have excellent organizational skills, and can work effectively with a diverse team to accomplish big, critical projects within strict deadlines.
The Intern will report to the Marketing and Communications Manager and may be able to work remotely in accordance with Hawaii Energy’s guidelines.
- Support team (including external PR firm) in executing overall media strategy, furthering the Hawaii Energy brand, and maintaining positive relationships with members of the media.
- Assist with coordination & scheduling of media appearances for Hawaii Energy team members, accompanying team members to appearances when needed.
- Draft talking points and fact sheets (including appropriate data/statistics) to arm Hawaii Energy team members with necessary information for interviews.
- Monitor local/national news and social media to keep up with current events related to the energy industry, sustainability initiatives, and Hawaii Energy’s operations and branding.
- Help manage Hawaii Energy’s media archive, including tracking of any news coverage and the associated monetary value, and keeping the Hawaii Energy digital media room (on website) up to date.
- Write articles and other content for Hawaii Energy’s e-newsletters, social media accounts, and website. (Depending on individual’s capabilities and enthusiasm, intern may also draft news releases and television segment scripts on behalf of Hawaii Energy.)
- Assist with planning, logistics, and occasional photography and video at events, such as press conferences, presentations, community outreach tabling, etc.
- Source and collect testimonials (direct quotes and photos) from local residents and businesses about their experiences working with Hawaii Energy. Package testimonials for external communication channels, such as social media, email newsletters, and the Hawaii Energy website.
- Serve as brand ambassador for Hawaii Energy, ensuring that all public-facing communications adhere to Hawaii Energy brand standards and Hawaii Energy is represented well in the public.
- Other duties as assigned
- Current enrollment (junior level or higher) as a university student studying Communication, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, English or related field
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook
- Exceptional copywriting and creative thinking skills (writing samples will be required)
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where multi-tasking will be required
- Strong commitment to professionalism and upholding Hawaii Energy core values
- Support Hawaii Energy’s mission and passion for energy, sustainability and community service work in Hawaii
- Some experience supporting a professional public relations or communications team, whether at an agency, in-house, as part of a political campaign, or the like.
- Experience working with email marketing software, such as MailChimp or Campaign Monitor
- Expertise in social media and digital video platforms (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.)
- Proficiency in basic graphic editing and design programs, such as Canva
- Knowledge of Hawaii Energy program and energy issues in Hawaii
Pay Range $33,150.00 - $51,000.00 - $68,850.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.