Product Development Scientist
New York, NY
The Sourcing team helps to take our unique designs and transform them into products to sell to our customers with the help of our third-party manufacturing partners. Internally, we partner closely with the Design and Supply Chain teams in order to give dogs and their people the best experience possible. If you couldn't tell already, we're dog and customer - obsessed - we pay close attention to cost and quality, are highly flexible and entrepreneurial, and collaborative to a fault.
WHO WE’RE SNIFFIN' FOR
If palatability is in your vocabulary and you are obsessed about creating the best food and eating experiences for dogs, then we want to talk to you! The BARK team is looking for a highly driven self-starter as Product Development Scientist. Reporting to the Director or Manager of Product Development, this role will work closely with our Concierge, Marketing, Sourcing, Operations, and external scientific partners to create food and treat products for dogs. We are just getting started, so if you enjoy building things from the ground up and have pet food experience, this is a great opportunity!
- Develop new products from concept through commercialization, ensuring all technical deliverables are met.
- Partner with sourcing to collaborate with suppliers on new product development.
- Create and ensure adherence to product specifications.
- Lead supplier improvement on process & delivery of key product attributes.
- Lead formulation optimization on cost, performance, or testing plans (analytical, kennel, consumer).
- Partner with data analytics to identify internal customer insights and combine with external trends, data, etc. to generate technical insights for new products.
- Help coordinate and participate in the development of effective and accurate nutritional claims, labeling, advertising, and promotional materials.
- 2+ years of experience in product development or R&D in the pet food industry.
- Experience in product formulation to meet pet nutrition needs.
- Experience in leading projects throughout the whole product development process from R&D, prototyping, production, QA to logistics, and fulfillment.
- Experience in a high volume manufacturing environment, preferably in the Consumer Packaged Goods Industry.
- Experience working directly with contract manufacturers, material vendors, and new technologies.
- Solid understanding of food industry standards for quality and regulatory.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. degree in Food Science/Food Chemistry & Animal Nutrition, advanced degree a plus.
- Strong technical knowledge to solve complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement suitable solutions.
- Confident and independent worker with great communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment through excellent interpersonal, influencing and communication skills.
- Ability to excel in a dynamic fast paced business environment, demonstrated ability to self-motivate and manage multiple priorities.
- MUST Love Dogs!
This position is a full-time, salaried position, open to remote candidates. Ideally based out of our NY headquarters or Columbus, OH fulfillment facility, but for the right candidates working remotely is also an option. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, and a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Please Note: BARK requires all employees or guests entering our space to provide proof of up to date covid-19 vaccinations. Exemption and/or accommodation requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
FOR CO/NJ/NY BASED APPLICANTS:
- The base salary range for this position is $73,500- $100,000
- This position is eligible for equity
This compensation range is based on BARKs good faith estimate as of the date of this posting and may be modified in the future. Actual pay for this position will depend on a variety of variables including location, travel, internal equity, experience, education, skills and expertise.