Product Designer - Editor Experience and Platform
FigmaSan Francisco, CA - New York, NY - Remote, US18 days ago
Figma is adding to our team of passionate people who are revolutionizing the world of design. We are building a browser-based design tool that looks and feels as good as a native application and has all the additional power and advantages that come from being built upon the web platform. If you’re looking to work at a company that is building the future of design tools, welcome to Figma.
The editor is the core of Figma, and an important tool that is used by many people every day. We are looking for a designer that can help us design its next many iterations.
Your role would be part of the creation team, and collaborate closely with the team responsible for design systems inside Figma, and the team responsible for prototyping. You would also work very closely with the engineering and product teams.
What you'll be doing
- Designing new features in the editor(including collaborating with support, research, engineering, and our users)
- Growing the editor to accommodate more user needs and more products
- Helping port the editor to new platforms
- Thinking of interoperability between the editor, FigJam, and potential future products
- Improving, maintaining, and revisiting existing features
- Advancing, reflecting on, and communicating editor’s quality
- Thinking about the editor’s roadmap
- Helping with hiring, mentoring, and maintaining the design culture within the company
- Becoming an integral part of our design team!
We're looking for someone with
- Strong systems thinking, interaction design, and information architecture skills
- Engineering competence, including prototyping experience and coding in production. While not all design roles at Figma require engineering knowledge, many features in the editor are based on engineering concepts and/or require close collaboration with engineering.
- Communication skills necessary to translate between the user needs and the technical realities of building Figma’s editor
- Knowledge of the building blocks of a design tool, and their technical underpinnings(things like latency/responsiveness, mouse and touch driven interactions, color, typography, vector and bitmap graphics)
- Understanding of the web platform and general awareness and knowledge of the space of creative tools(including design tools)
- 5+ years industry experience as a product designer
- Eagerness to learn, a track record for being self-driven, and experience managing multiple projects at the same time
- Interest and excitement about problem solving and complex systems
- Aptitude for shipping and ability to balance quality and time
Some projects you could work on
- Complex, new tentpole features similar to Auto Layout, Selection Colors, comments
- “Invisible” but crucial improvements to core editor functionality, such as: better copy and paste, improving typography and accessibility, support for variable fonts, line height changes, progressive loading, better saving, new color and file formats, selection and parenting mechanics
- Improving and coming up with new editor interaction and system mechanics: selection, parenting, layer pane, property pane, touch interactions