We're looking for a talented, detail-oriented Product Designer to join us to help define and design compelling experiences that empower teams to achieve more together. You will assist in shaping the direction of the core framework and messaging experiences for Microsoft Teams, the chat-based collaboration app that is changing how people work together.
Our design team is a highly collaborative group of user researchers, engineers, and product designers. We value creativity, open idea sharing, and having fun while we work. Most of all, we’re motivated by our millions of users. We want them to love our products.
We are looking for a Product Designer who can conceptualize the big picture as well as assist in detailed design development for collaboration and communications user experiences. You should have a proven record of innovative thinking, a history of using design to drive new ideas and the ability to help others to make the right design decisions.
At the core of this job, you will help move the Teams visual design language forward as well as improve the general craftsmanship of the product in a tactical way across mobile and desktop.
You will work with product designers across the company to help ensure visual consistency in the features that are delivered. You will be working very closely with developers to implement high quality, pixel perfect, design-led initiatives. A solid understanding of graphic/visual design is required, an understanding of CSS, design systems, and design tokens is advantageous.
You should be able to articulate your thinking using a variety of mediums from design mocks, interaction flows to detailed prototypes and specifications.
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field
- OR equivalent experience (e.g., experience using design thinking to solve problems)
- 3+ years of experience in Visual, UX, or Interaction Design
- Proficient in Figma or Sketch
- Experience of working with engineers to ship your design in product
- Software design experience
- Graphic design experience
- Ability to prototype samples in Code Sandbox
- Experience working with design tokens
- Cross-team communication and presentation skills to get buy-in on your design
- Ability to breakdown design vision into a phased implementation plan
- History of working with engineers to implement simple animatedinteractions
- Experience working cross platform
- Experience working directly with users, running studies, or collaborating with a user researcher
Product Design IC2 - The typical base pay range for this role across Canada is CAD $61,500 - CAD $121,200 per year.
- Produces visual designs from concept to delivery. Creates a variety of visual design documents such as mood boards, interaction flows / storyboards, product renderings/visualizations, motion studies, prototypes, iconography, illustrations, vision pieces, layouts, and specifications for a set of products, tools, and/or services.
- Proactively seeks to improve craftsmanship issues in the desktop and mobileproducts today by identifying, articulating and proposing improvements in partnership with product managers and engineers.
- Design process starts with using the prescribed design system (e.g. content templates, icons, UI controls, navigation models, design trends). Expands and contributes back to the current design system based on changes in product needs, improvements, and updates in the industry. Advocates the use and adoption of the latest design system. This includes helping others understand how to use the system, as well as driving for consistency and alignment within the team.
- Works in lock step with engineering for product development and performs Quality Audits (QAs) to help them ensure ‘pixel perfect’ or detailed designimplementation. Works with developers to further iterate on designs during implementation to ensure optimal designs. Demonstrates ability to find alternatives, and make cases for designs to be implemented a certain way
- Generates solutions to design problems. Utilizes a variety of perspectives when ideating (e.g. experience, technology, user research, business). Synthesizes complex ideation solutions to concise articulation of user wants and subsequent solutions.
- Set context for stakeholders of what problems and user goals the project is setting out to resolve.
- Proactively share work in progress with appropriate peers and leads within the studio so everyone involved in the project is aware. Highly motivated and driven to get the details right.