Product Design Manager
As a Product Design Manager, you’ll report directly to the Chief Product Officer and you’ll work with our product team and engineering team as well as cross-functional partners such as marketing and customer support. You’ll ensure a consistent and high-quality user experience while creating repeatable systems and guides that help design scale across the organization.
When applying for this role, please provide a link to your portfolio featuring examples of your product design work and thinking. Don’t forget to include any passwords needed to access your portfolio!
What you'll do day-to-day:
- Manage our small but growing product design team. Lead with well-communicated vision, provide supportive coaching, and guide individuals along deliberate career development paths.
- (In the near term) spend at least 60% of your time owning and executing projects, and the remainder of your time as a people manager. This split will shift as the team grows.
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Analytics, Marketing, and Engineering partners to represent the design team, facilitate design discussions, and give feedback in planning and product channels
- Think holistically about complex systems, empathize with customers, and understand business objectives to create compelling and effective product experiences
- Develop user-centered design solutions based on research, member insights, and industry best-practices
- Partner with product to help define and execute research initiatives to guide the direction of your design work as well as inform business strategy
- Present design concepts and clearly communicate design intent through design specs and presentation documents
- Articulate, negotiate, and refine design requirements in collaboration with product managers and engineers to arrive at the best design solutions
- Help create our design system as well as advocate for scalable design solutions across product, brand, and marketing
Opportunities to have an immediate design impact at Thistle:
- Research and design next generation tools to enable our production and fulfillment staff to efficiently and predictably get delicious, fresh meals into our customers’ hands.
- Overhaul our website as a communication tool for our mission, our product, and our values.
- Be a major contributor in establishing our design voice both in visual design and interaction design
What we’re looking for:
- 7+ years relevant experience in user experience design in a product-driven company
- 3+ years experience directly managing other designers and building teams
- Experience designing for both web and mobile. Familiarity with unique technical and usability constraints when designing for desktop and mobile
- Demonstrated ability to lead the conception and prototyping of brand new products as well as feature enhancements, all with a user-centered design process
- You have a user and data-informed design mentality. You are constantly looking to hone your team’s instincts through user feedback and data insight
- Experience participating in planning and executing user research projects
- Strong ability to communicate in writing to concisely share insights and effectively lay out a case for a course of action
Life at Thistle:
- Join a kind, diverse, passionate & driven team of all backgrounds
- Enjoy Thistle meals at a substantial discount!
- Comprehensive health benefits(medical, dental, vision)
- Flexible time off policy and generous parental leave
- First Fridays - get the first Friday of every month off!
- Team-building and frequent wellness events
- Competitive salary & equity package
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential values at Thistle. We know we'll do our best and most impactful work when we feel we're represented and we belong. We're proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. You can get some deeper insight into how we approach DEI, along with some statistics on the internal demographics of the company and leadership team, here: https://www.thistle.co/learn/thistle-thoughts/thistle-on-diversity-equity-and-inclusion.