Procurement and Supply Chain Intern
American AirlinesDallas, TXa month ago
Are you ready to explore a world of possibilities, both at work and during your time off? Join our American Airlines family, and you’ll travel the world, grow your expertise and become the best version of you. As you embark on a new journey, you’ll tackle challenges with flexibility and grace, learning new skills and advancing your career while having the time of your life. Feel free to enrich both your personal and work life and hop on board!
Why you'll love this job
The Procurement & Supply Chain team adds value by finding suppliers who provide exceptional quality and service at a competitive cost. Our Commodity Managers are responsible for items which run the gamut from uniforms, furniture and in flight food and beverages to outsourced airport services, catering services and lounge services. The team works closely with internal stakeholders to meet their needs, collaborating throughout the sourcing, negotiating and contracting process. In this ever changing, hands-on, strategic position you’ll make a real impact to both the company’s operation and bottom line.
What you'll do
The undergraduate intern will be assigned to one of the teams within the Corporate Purchasing group at our Fort Worth, TX headquarters. The intern will work alongside full time Commodity Managers and duties may include the following:
- Represent the company in business dealings with internal and external organizations in the various roles of supply chain management
- Effectively develop and promote American’s strategic partnerships with suppliers
- Develop Requests for Proposals (RFP) and facilitate the bid process
- Meet and negotiate with suppliers
- Manage contracting process
- Obtain firsthand knowledge of the airline by traveling to various locations and interacting with internal and external stakeholders to understand supply chain’s role in day to day business activities
- Procure commodities to meet the expectations of internal stakeholders consistent with the strategic plan
- Assist in development and implementation of commodity and supplier strategies
- Research and develop supply chain maps for products, services and processes
- Review departmental systems, processes and training materials and recommend improvements
Our interns will learn about the wide variety of roles on the team, and gain experience and understanding of the different processes before joining one of the following groups:
- Airport Services – Domestic
- Airport Services – International
- Dining & Cabin
- Corporate Operations
All you'll need for success
Minimum Qualifications- Education & Prior Job Experience
- Pursuing a BS or BA (incoming senior) with some completed coursework in Supply Chain.
- Understanding and use of technical tools for analysis (Excel), problem solving, forecasting and quality improvement
- Skilled in organizational and interpersonal dealings
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self- starter with high sense of urgency and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Able to travel (moderate)
What you'll get
Feel free to take advantage of all that American Airlines has to offer:
- Travel Perks: Ready to explore the world? You, your family and your friends can reach 365 destinations on more than 6,800 daily flights across our global network.
- Wellness Programs: We want you to be the best version of yourself – that’s why our wellness programs provide you with all the right tools, resources and support you need.
- 401(k) Program: Available upon hire and, depending on the workgroup, employer contributions to your 401(k) program are available after one year.
- Additional Benefits: Other great benefits include our Employee Assistance Program, pet insurance and discounts on hotels, cars, cruises and more
Feel Free to be yourself at American
From the team members we hire to the customers we serve, inclusion and diversity are the foundation of the dynamic workforce at American Airlines. Our 20+ Employee Business Resource Groups are focused on connecting our team members to our customers, suppliers, communities and shareholders, helping team members reach their full potential and creating an inclusive work environment to meet and exceed the needs of our diverse world.
Are you ready to feel a tremendous sense of pride and satisfaction as you do your part to keep the largest airline in the world running smoothly as we care for people on life’s journey? Feel free to be yourself at American.