Privacy Program Manager
Legal and Compliance is responsible for managing all legal and regulatory matters, including contracts, corporate governance, general compliance, academic compliance, employment law matters, intellectual property, product counseling, government relations, and claims. The team includes dedicated teams that support every aspect of Coursera's platform, including university, enterprise, and industry partnerships.
As Privacy Program Manager, the successful candidate will:
- Build scalable operations and processes to strengthen Coursera’s privacy controls without placing an undue burden on the business
- Drive privacy projects for the Privacy Team, such as data mapping, privacy impact assessments, and DPA reviews
- Facilitate cross-functional projects and privacy reviews. Work closely with product managers to learn about new products and partner with legal, product marketing, security, and other teams across the company to identify potential privacy challenges and progress towards consensus-based solutions
- Implement improvements into the mechanics of how teams incorporate privacy compliance and privacy-by-design into operations and product life cycles
- Gather metrics, assist with the audit process, and enforce continuous reporting to inform stakeholders and management of key privacy and compliance trends. Work with business partners to create and improve processes in support of Coursera’s business.
We’re looking for an individual who is passionate about growth and education. We want a candidate who is energized by the challenges of growing a business globally and being a strategic business partner for a dynamic team experiencing rapid expansion. This role will engage with all levels of employees and management, so interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) are vital to strong working relationships.
The position requires experience in online privacy laws or related field (such as GDPR and CCPA, substantive experience working on privacy issues in the technology or consumer product space), as well as strong project-management and interpersonal skills
- Building process and operations to help scale the Privacy Team activities
- Interfacing with our sales, security, product, engineering, and marketing teams to navigate customer requirements.
- Assisting in the creation, implementation, and maintenance of contract templates, playbooks, and procedures with the goal of scaling company activities while ensuring manageable risk.
- Driving DPA reviewing, data mapping, privacy impact assessments, and streamlining learner tickets
- Researching and keeping abreast of applicable privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidance that impact Coursera’s business practices on a global scale.
- Bachelor's degree with 3+ years or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in program management on cross-functional projects
- Experience in privacy with one of the following privacy principles or technologies: privacy by design, user data protection, GDPR, data inventory, encryption, anonymization, or privacy impact assessments
- Thrives in an ever-changing, start-up environment, and works quickly under time-pressure deadlines
- JD (Juris Doctor ) with 2+ years of relevant post qualification experience
- Experience working with privacy compliance tools and developing processes to enforce internal privacy protocols
- Possess a practical approach to problem-solving and be able to counsel internal clients with clear, concise and creative advice on timelines to meet business needs
- Operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, “can do” attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with other members of the Legal and Compliance team and with internal clients
- Shows integrity and a commitment to ethics
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
Coursera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, please contact us at email@example.com.
For California Candidates, please review our CCPA Applicant Notice here.
For our Global Candidates, please review our GDPR Recruitment Notice here.