Do you want to be part of shaping & molding a rapidly growing software engineering team? Want to help build a culture of technical excellence and nimble, cloud-native digital delivery? Want to interact with customers and teams around the world in what is one of Liberty Mutual’s truly international delivery areas – experiencing firsthand what puts the “Global” in Liberty’s Global Risk Solutions business unit? If any of these sounds appealing, then read further…
Our Claims Technology teams are expanding rapidly in the Specialty insurance & Surety areas. These teams are scaling up to meet the growing needs of our global customer base. We’re looking to onboard multiple engineering positions across several new teams – from seasoned tech leads to hungry mid/junior level positions. Teams will be focused on building new capabilities such as digital portals, API products and complex internal/external system integrations as we set out on aggressive multi-year roadmaps. Full-stack is the way our teams operate – from design to devops, to testing, and everything in-between. If you want to learn new skills as the tech lead of an empowered, self-managing team this is your place!
- Act as a hands-on tech lead for a single SCRUM team in a scaled agile environment
- Help grow the team from scratch – help hire talent, develop the culture, coach & mentor junior engineers
- Coordinate with fellow team tech leads – foster a culture of reuse and sharing
- Deploy applications to AWS and Kubernetes
- Lead the extension and evolution of traditional Java-based web applications to cloud-native serverless & microservice patterns
- Work directly with our customers and business partners to move the needle on OKRs and KPIs
- Interact with customers and core development team to refine the product backlog
- Embrace a full-stack development mentality – devops, front/back-end, testing
- Automate and execute all levels of testing – unit, integration, and regression
- Support software products through their entire lifecycle
- Proactively avoid and eliminate technical debt
- Champion engineering excellence
- Foster learning/growth mindset and model it for others
Primary Location: Boston, MA
Additional Locations: Remote
Travel: As Needed
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience, technical degree preferred.
- Generally 8+ years of professional experience.
- Highly proficient in Java/J2EE and multiple other languages. Must deeply understand Java-based MVC and N-tiered applications.
- Experience working in a technical leadership capacity – directing, coaching and mentoring more junior engineers
- Proven experience designing solutions using cloud computing platforms & services (AWS, Lambda, EC2, OCF, K8S)
- Proven experience designing & building APIs (REST, SOAP, API Gateway, SpringBoot, etc.)
- Experience in agile software delivery (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.)
- Hands-on experience with build/deploy automation & devops frameworks (CI/CD, Bamboo, pipeline-as-code, AWS CDK/CFT)
- Strong knowledge of automated testing frameworks and concepts (Junit, mocks, Selenium)
- Insurance industry & systems knowledge a huge plus as is experience with the Guidewire InsuranceSuite of applications.
- Demonstrated ability to bake security, privacy and performance into the development process
- Versed in diverse technologies and technical architecture principles and concepts. Extensive knowledge in layered systems architectures solutions and designs and shared software concepts.
- Strong consultative skills, including the ability to understand and apply customer requirements, including drawing out unforeseen implications and making recommendations for design, the ability to define design reasoning, understanding potential impacts of design requirements.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; presentation skills
- Strong negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills
- Business function(s) and IT industry business issues; extensive knowledge of business operations, strategies, and objectives