At Bayer we’re visionaries, driven to solve the world’s toughest challenges and striving for a world where ,Health for all, Hunger for none’ is no longer a dream, but a real possibility. We’re doing it with energy, curiosity and sheer dedication, always learning from unique perspectives of those around us, expanding our thinking, growing our capabilities and redefining ‘impossible’. There are so many reasons to join us. If you’re hungry to build a varied and meaningful career in a community of brilliant and diverse minds to make a real difference, there’s only one choice.
In Bayer Research & Early Development Oncology, we discover the next generation of cancer therapies with scientific innovation hubs in Berlin, Boston, Basel, and Oslo. Translational Sciences Oncology is a multidisciplinary department that harnesses cutting-edge technologies to enable earlier detection, precise molecular diagnosis, and personalized treatment for cancer patients. We ensure seamless translational support starting from the assessment of new targets through to preclinical and clinical studies from first-in-human through lifecycle management.
This role of a Principal Scientist, Clinical Computational Biology is responsible for evaluating DNA-seq, RNA-seq, and/or imaging data for oncology clinical development programs. As a computational biology expert, he or she will provide data packages and recommendations to translational science teams for Early or Late Development clinical programs. The scientist provides tactical and strategic guidance to the pharmaceutical portfolio and data science ecosystem. He or she will initiate and occasionally lead cross-functional initiatives and collaborations on exploratory data analysis for clinical biomarkers. The introduction, adaptation and further development of highly innovative bioinformatics methods to analyze multi-omics data sets is a key activity. In addition, he or she will contribute to reverse translation efforts for disease understanding across multiple clinical programs in the same indication
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibilities of this role, Principal Scientist, Clinical Computational Biology are to:
- Identify novel biomarkers using state-of-the-art bioinformatics methods in the exploratory analyses of -omics and/or imaging data from oncology clinical trial specimens;
- Collaborate across cross-functional teams to evaluate translational science questions from clinical programs;
- Develop, evaluate, implement, and apply bioinformatics and statistical methods on DNA-seq, RNA-seq, or imaging datasets;
- Collaborate with academic or commercial partners on the development and analysis of innovative clinical biomarker analyses;
- Maintain interfaces among Translational Science teams, Biomarker Statistics, and IT functions.
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- PhD in Sciences (Bioinformatics, Chemistry, Biology, Genetics, Biomedical Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, or other related quantitative discipline) with demonstrated peer-reviewed publications in computational biology;
- Demonstrated experience in statistical analysis of DNA-seq, RNA-seq, single-cell, or imaging datasets in oncology with proficiency in a programming environment (such as R or Python);
- Independently prioritizes tasks and delivers high-quality technical recommendations;
- Very strong analytical thinking, coupled with striving for scientific excellence and life-long learning;
- Persuasive communication skills to present complex issues clearly and convincingly to project teams, decision bodies, and senior stakeholders;
- Demonstrates advanced business acumen, people and project leadership competencies, and technical expertise.
- 5+ years experience in pharmaceutical or biotech company;
- 3+ years experience with project prioritization and interdisciplinary collaborations in a matrix organization.
Bayer offers a wide variety of competitive compensation and benefits programs. If you meet the requirements of this unique opportunity, and want to impact our mission Science for a better life, we encourage you to apply now. Be part of something bigger. Be you. Be Bayer.
To all recruitment agencies: Bayer does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
Bayer is an E-Verify Employer.
IMPORTANT NOTE for POTENTIAL US CANDIDATES: Bayer expects its colleagues to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Bayer defines fully vaccinated in alignment with CDC which is two weeks after completing the two-dose vaccine regimen or two weeks after completing the one-dose regimen. Additionally, Bayer colleagues are also required to comply with state, local and customer requirements.